HybridZ

PIC'S of Free Exhaust Modification and MORE!!!

Hey Guys, Finally got home from over seas and found some time to work on my Z. I have purchased this car about 1.5y ago which was in storage for 15y in southern Cali...RUST FREE, She is a little rough looking but that will all change in the Future.

First I had to Buy a Batterie, lol Secondly I drained the Tank of about 5 Gal worth of GAS/Varnish...Nasty, I changed all Rubber Fuel lines and added a new Fuel Filter about 2 hours worth of work. We finally got her crankin and Running but hardly.

One of the Carbs was flooding like crazy so my Boss, we are mechanics at a Local Performance Shop..decided to add a Fuel Regulator to lower the Fuel pressure but it still was no go, the Carbs where just not performing so I gave Oreilly's a call and order two Carb Kits for $50 bucks, My boss then rebuild the carbs and voila, we shall have a fine running Z :)

Of course the brakes where no good so I rebuild the Master Cylinder past Sunday, re-cut the all rotors and drums Bleed the system and brakes are working fine. Just one more thing before I lower my Z from the Lift and take it back on the road. I went ahead and modified the Rear Muffler. I basically gutted it and welded a perforated straight pipe from the inlet to the outlet, It went from stock sound to nice and throaty in less then 60 minutes and it didn't cost a Dime, especially since my boss pays for the argon and wire.

I will try to follow up with a 4x4 Toyota brake upgrade this week.

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

Fuel Regulator

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

Oh snap, Gotta Cut some more

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

I was really surprised how well it sounds, not to loud just right!

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

Edited by luckygerman

Too bad you spent the time on those carbs, if you can and if you will still pass smog, switch to some 70-72 SU roundtops.

Glad to hear another z back on the road, I second the great color, looks very clean for hpw soon you are starting the project.

Edited by Geking

hehehe... I did that to my BMW M3 muffler. It is a very expensive factory muffler and has a complex fitment under the rear skirt. I didn't like the Borla and German aftermarket prices. I could not hear the engine with my helmet on and 100MPH wind noise. I needed a cheap way to make it slightly louder.

I cut the double layered stainless steel case open like you... and removed 6(SIX) glass packs from inside. All the internals were stainless steel and combinations of stainless-steel wool, ceramic blankets, and punched composite steel and ceramic baffles. The glass packs were full-on double-tubed with stainless steel wool packings. I took 25# of stuff out and made them double pass instead of the 4 pass design the Germans used. The original muffler had 5 chambers and 6 glasspacks for god's sake. There is very little power gain from exhaust changes on the M3, but the sound is slightly louder and much easier to hear on track.

Edited by bjhines

Too bad you spent the time on those carbs, if you can and if you will still pass smog, switch to some 70-72 SU roundtops.

Here in North Carolina, Smog or Emissions testing is not required for vehicles 1995 or older so I have free range on any mods.

I have a complete 1983 280zx in my Back yard that I picked up for $500, the plan is to use the complete drive-train and build the L28 with my n42 240z heads, will need to calculate the cc on the heads to determine what pistons to use, I would like to have around 10.5-11:1 cr. once that part of the build is complete I will add 40mm triple webbers. So good-bye to these sorry ass Carbs.

I make sure to keep my build updated!

Cheers

hehehe... I did that to my BMW M3 muffler. It is a very expensive factory muffler and has a complex fitment under the rear skirt. I didn't like the Borla and German aftermarket prices. I could not hear the engine with my helmet on and 100MPH wind noise. I needed a cheap way to make it slightly louder.

Yeah, I don't see the point in spending allot of money for a name brand muffler. A "Race" Muffler is just a metal can with minimal baffling. Since I am still running the stock diameter 1 7/8" pipe there is no point in spending money on mufflers. Once I have my headers and mid pipe then I will search for better muffler options, until then this will do!