HybridZ

'76 in WA needing a V8

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a few questions.

Recently my Z was stolen and they cooked the enging. I was thinking of droping a SBC somewhere between 305 to 350.

1. What emissons laws do i need to concern myself with? It's a '76 280 2+2.

2. Where do I start for info on the conversion?

thanks

Guest Anonymous

Welcome agin. First off before you get in to deep go to www.jagsthatrun.com and order their manual, most on this site use it much like a bible. JTR does sell conversion kits as do MSA at www.zcarparts.com another out fit that sells them is www.johnscars.com

I do not know if any one here has used them or not. Many here have used JTRs design and made their own mounts etc... As far as the best kit I think that the most common used here is the JTR style that sets the engine back almost to the fire wall. which intern helps balance the wieght.

"What engine?" Any engine that you want! On this site you will find just about every thing that you can think of. There are grand national turbos, turbo six's, super chargers, big block chevy's, small block chevys and fords. We now added Mopar. There are LT1 and LSi's, 4 speed, 5 speed, 6 speed, and auto's. What ever you want you can do it, is your car. The most common is the sbc 350.

Spend some time using the search engine and you will find days of reading on any subject you want. Good luck!

Since we don't know what state you are from, it's very hard to help you. Try going to your state's Air Resources Board or government websites and looking for answers there for starters. Also, check with local car clubs--they usually have people in the know. HTH

Davy

Aspen--a lot of the regs will change depending on where in WA you live even (BTW, Davy--check subject line icon_smile.gif)

I know there are certain areas around Seattle that are exempt, but if you go across the street, it changes. Check with one of the state inspection stations (should be in phone book, or closest licensing office should know)--I know when I registered my 74 up there, I had to get it inspected, and the guy was nice enough to compliment me on the carb conversion I had done--since I was exempt, it didn't matter

HTH,

Jim--(originally from WA)

Guest Anonymous

Right now I am living in Pierce county. I know that they require smog for certain amount of years. I have a 75 chevy truck that I registered at a buddys house in Lacey to avoid smog, I was hoping that there was like a 25 year and older exemtion in Pierce. Thanks. PS I can't register my cars with my buddy anymore he moved.

Zach

Guest Anonymous

Hey aspen. I live over in Olympia. I know that out of all our counties only a few of them require emissions testing. I know King County does in most places but many surrounding ones don't. Olympia doesn't either. Let me know where you're from and I can look it up for you.