HybridZ

door/hatch locks

Guest ZDreamin

Guest ZDreamin

hello

just wondering the best ways to put door locks and hatch locks, my 76 didnt have a key for the locks and no hatch lock at all, so i got the 2 locks and th hatc lock with key for cheap and now i need to install them to get going and park it with relative security, any help in how to install them would be apreiciated. also i was putting my blower motor back under the dash, but when i tighten it down it hits, is there supposed to be some of gasket or something, i was thinking of just using like a nut as a spacer so i can fully tighten it.

thanks all

Guest Fast Frog

For the hatch lock: Pull the lower inside hatch panel to get ot the hatch lock hole. Drop hatch lock into place and secure with lock retaining clip.

For door locks: Remove door panel and waterproofing plastic. Disconnect door lock linkage(don't loose the little "C" clip). Remove door lock retaining clip and remove old door lock(s). Insert new door locks and reattach everthing.

One note: If you're replacing your old door locks with other used door locks, it's a good idea to WD40 the replacement doorlocks and let them sit for a few hours then WD40 them again to remove old metal shavings and corrosion.

One note: If you're replacing your old door locks with other used door locks, it's a good idea to WD40 the replacement doorlocks and let them sit for a few hours then WD40 them again to remove old metal shavings and corrosion.
Good point. But just to add to that, make sure that they are completely dry afterwards...maybe spray them out with brake cleen aerosol or something. Then use a dry graphite lubricant (available at any parts store) to lubricate the inside of the lock (where the key goes in). Liquid lubricants make it gummy after a while.

Tim