HybridZ

Engine Run On

So I have a msd6al ignition newly hooked up. Problem is when I turn it off the car keeps running til the bowl is empty in the carb. Now I know it needs a diode sometimes with the msd ignition so I hooked it up but still stays on.

I installed a jumper with the diode within from the large power terminal to the farther of the two terminals. It stays on. I do not have an idiot light or voltage regulator as the manual applies it to, so anyhelp would be appreciated. Or letting me know how you installed it would be great to.

-Thanks

Use a switched relay to power on the MSD, like a relay for a fuel pump or fog lights. The relay is opened when you turn the key off and that should kill all power to the MSD box and shut the car off.

You could also install a toggle switch that could double as a theft deterrent since the car will just crank and not fire with the switch off.

Edited by MikeBZ

I dont mind adding another switch since I have the fuel pump on one. But I would rather not have two switches and just one would be great. Any recomendations on how to install the relay and sizes? New to relays so just wondering.

Edit: Nevermind, Pops got home and taught me. Will be trying it out tommorow. After reading other sites it should work so I will get back with hopefully some good news.

Edited by 240zBoy

I dont mind adding another switch since I have the fuel pump on one. But I would rather not have two switches and just one would be great. Any recomendations on how to install the relay and sizes? New to relays so just wondering.

Edit: Nevermind, Pops got home and taught me. Will be trying it out tommorow. After reading other sites it should work so I will get back with hopefully some good news.

use a bosch relay and use the factory key on to trip the relay that way there is no switch.

use a bosch relay and use the factory key on to trip the relay that way there is no switch.

Yes, use the factory wiring to trigger the relay so the key will kill the power, Autozone sells a relay in the fog light section for 5-6 bucks.

Hooked it up and now it won't start :blink: .

85 to ground "Maybe its not a good ground source I dunno"

86 to the 12v source of my ignition "Hot when key is on"

87 to the msd small red wire

30 to the battery.

Something must be wrong here as it should atleast start. Please help me!!!

85 goes to 12v source of my ignition "Hot when key is on"

86 goes to ground

87 to the msd small red wire

30 to the Battery

Should work now

If not try a new relay, you might have damaged the 1st one when the wires were crossed