HybridZ

73 240z starter issue.

Hi everyone. Whenever I start my Z it would have a terrible grinding sound like the starter is clashing with the flywheel. I replaced the starter with a kragen reman unit and it still has the grind but would get the car started. I tried starting it again the other day and all I hear is a whirring sound like the starter gear is just spinning.

The teeth on the flywheel look fine the last time I checked before putting the new starter on. Should there be a plate between the starter and the trans? I notice there looks like a plate should be there since my flywheel is partially exposed. My neighbor suggested I try putting some washers between them thinking that the gear is being pushed out too far. Im also thinking of scrapping this starter and buy a gear reduction starter off datsun parts but its pretty pricey. what do you guys think?

So pretty much Im stumped and the car is sitting in my garage. I tried whacking the starter with a hammer since I have a life time warranty anyways and it actually got the car started. However that only worked on that occasion and does currently start.

Could it be the 240z starter is too weak to crank my 3.1 stroker?

Any helpful insight is appreciated. thank you

Edited by 247

Woa buddy, you are new here. HybridZ is more for non standard modifications than 'do I need a scatter shield' (the plate that covers the bottom of your bellhousing) If you have a good flywheel, and a good starter, then you are not installing it correctly or you are not getting enough power to the starter so it is chattering. I would take the starter off the car and see if the gear pops out when you go to start, and also to see if it chatters. Also, see if you can paint the gear to see how it is engaging with the flywheel.

nobody?

Yeah there should be a plate between the bellhousing and engine, it's not very thick but i emagine it's enough to cause binding without it. And definitely get rid of the direct drive starter, use a gear reduction type from an 81-83 ZX. Go to the bone yard and get one for about 20.00 bucks, chances are it will be original and should last for years.

Yeah there should be a plate between the bellhousing and engine, it's not very thick but i emagine it's enough to cause binding without it. And definitely get rid of the direct drive starter, use a gear reduction type from an 81-83 ZX. Go to the bone yard and get one for about 20.00 bucks, chances are it will be original and should last for years.

thanks. ordered the starter you reccomended. hope it works out and its not something more serious.