HybridZ

Front mount single turbo

I would think that for purposes of avoiding boost lag, you'd want two smaller turbos so that they spool more quickly than the massive sized turbo you'd need to feed a 4.7, 5.0, 5.7 or 6.3 liter engine. You could still do big horsepower, you'd just have to use bigger turbos.

Due to the nature of the application for large single turbo set-ups on larger displacement engines (3.0 liters+), most of the them I've seen have been custom. It's something you'd only want if you knew you were going to be keeping the engine in the very top-end the entire time, otherwise you'd have significant lack of power compared to a twin turbo set-up.

I was mainly trying to stay the route of simplicity and unit cost. Would rather not pay for two of everything if possible. On another note there have been several posts of members saying if they were going to do it again they would go single turbo instead of twins. I will definitely take your suggestion to mind though, thanks.

Would rather not pay for two of everything if possible. On another note there have been several posts of members saying if they were going to do it again they would go single turbo instead of twins.

I guess if you went all-out on a single turbo set-up you might be able to get it to spool pretty fast, all of the major turbine manufacturers are set to release all of their next-generation turbochargers (There was a lot of cool stuff at SEMA). Some of them have crazy ceramic ball-bearings, or oil-less setups (using a heat-resistant silicone gel for lubrication), some of them are getting away from metal "wheels" and going with composite materials in order to reduce rotating mass and thus increase RPM capability and greatly reduce the time/energy to reach positive boost.

I think though you end up spending about the same amount of money, either way. You can use less-costly turbos, and have to buy two, or you could buy one large "higher-end" model turbo that will spool and deliver the same boost pressure.