HybridZ

Roll-on bedliner heat resistance

Guest bluex_v1

Guest bluex_v1

Have any of you ever welded on the opposite side of a bedliner coated surface?

I just about have my floors and frame rails completely finished, and I need to coat them with something since I'm just working on the car out in the yard. I want to use Herculiner urethane bedliner stuff that I already have for the floors, wheel wells, strut towers, firewall, etc. I've used Durabak before (essentially the same stuff) and like how it comes out. However, I am still going to want to weld a bit in the future on the underside of the floors for the transmission crossmember (which I am nowhere near having positioned yet) and also to reinforce the floors/tie the rollcage (that I don't have yet) into the subframe connectors and stuff, and quite possibly the firewall too. So, does anyone know if I could get away with doing so without melting/burning/cracking the bedliner on the opposite side?

I'd be using a flux core welder, but I could go MIG if it would reduce the heat enough...floors are 18 gauge..everything else is stock early 260 sheet so far.

Thanks

Guest bluex_v1

Thanks for the replies..I think I will just go ahead and primer it then. I'll have to find out what primer that stuff is compatible with...it seems to like bare metal best, so I wonder if just keeping it rinsed with WD40 or something would be ok...then I could just swab it up and use xylene on the residue. Plans have changed rather drastically anyway, because I'm getting a used 10pt SW cage tomorrow night...so I'll go ahead and put that thing in anyway...tacking it to the floor parts as recommended.

Guest Anonymous

Blue, Since your re-welding will not entail much of an area, my only concern would be how much bedliner area would be destroyed by the welding and is it INFLAMMABLE when exposed to this welding heat. You need to get that bare metal covered with some kind of good paint or primer--- like yesterday. I did my engine bay with Hammerite and got it covered early. I have re-touched it up about 3 times already due to $^^&* and this was easy and fast since I have about a 1/4 of the Hammerite left. Your bedliner texture like Hammerite is easy to touch up.