Guest Anonymous

I can't decide which way to go with my

tranny.

I have access to both a 400turbo

tranny and a super-10 four speed.

The 400turbo would be cheaper to install,

but the other would be funner?

I can't decide, whats your opinions?

Yes I am having the same problem I have a t-5 and a aod (4 speed auto) and a C4 (3speed auto). The C4 would be the cheapest but would not be the most fun. What to do, I don't know.

I had a GTO 20 years ago and I would swap trannys every month or so (M20 and a T400). If I only had that kind of time now I could really build somehting.

I like to row gears, especially in a car like a Z. However, if the car is for the track, I'll take the auto for its consistency. An AOD or 5 or 6 speed is really only the way to go, but since you already possess these trannies, flip a coin.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Like Davy said, whatever you feel like driving should answer your questions. Neither are overdrive transmissions so freeway is going to be running quite a few revs, but either will give you the fun factor your looking for. It just depends on what you like, auto or manual, it wont matter for the swap.

Regards,

Lone

Whichever you prefer, you can kit out the TH400 (or most any auto trans) for rowing your own when you like or leaving it in D at the end of a marathon day etc. If you have a stick preference don't let extra install work hold you back....it's all worth it in the end and I've redone enough items on my own so hindsight's 20-20. (on occasion during a marathon of car mods I've wondered if I've spent more hours altering the beast than I'll ever drive it icon_smile.gif, not the true case but can seem that way when you get in a phaze of mods)

I drove a Vega GT with a TH350, steeep gears, and a somehwat healthy 350 for awhile.

With a ratchet shifter that allows you to shift manually and an auto that's done "right" you could have a real blast in a light car like the Z or Vega. It's scary quick switching gears and when it hooks up it'll fly. Great in traffic, no sore knees etc. I think a TH400 is a bit heavier and a bit overkill for the light Z but if it's what ya' got...

Sticks are more fun for tooling around IMHO. More of a "sporty" feel I guess. with the T10 I think you'll have an external shifter which might be harder to install too but others have done it and can guide you.

It really does come down to personal prefrence but don't coount the auto out. I'm a stick guy but I sure loved that Vega's trans. I'm sorry I ever sold that car - BIG mistake icon_sad.gif