HybridZ

chop top z?

Guest HueJass

Guest HueJass

Has anyoone ever tried to chop a z top... and what would the steps be?

I imagine you would need to replace all the windows and such but im not sure what else you would have to do

you guys know like the tools and parts required

im not doing this i just wanted some information/opnions to see if ot would be cool, or even worth it... :confused:

Guest Anonymous

I had a post on chop yop Z it should be there somewhere on the hybrid site if you search.

It was a old customizing book I got that put together a damaged z for a car show in 30 days.

they also added flares, "pantara" type rear window, and painted it a eveil kneivel paint colors (remeber when he was cool).And a 350!

Yes lexan (plastic) side windows and cut down front glass (tricky job for a pro).

Tools; sawsall ,grinder ,mig or tig welder and other basic hand tools

I gave pictures of the finished job to somebody who had asked on that posting sorry I no longer have them

I inquired about the same thing about a year ago on zcar.com. At some point I still plan on finishing it too...just haven't had time. But heres what I suggest doing before you start cutting into the car. Find a model of your car, like a plastic one that you can put together and then cut it apart to figure out where the proper roof cuts will need to be made. A car without t-tops will be much, much easier to do. With a lot of patience a car with t-tops could be done...but if you think you've got leaks now with factory tops like most people do...imagine the nightmare you might encounter after chopping the top and trying to re-do that expensive weatherstripping. Also, a t-top car has a lot more structural support problems that you may have to worry about. I was told that things would be much easier if you had a roll-cage or tube frame incorporated that way there wouldn't be as much stress on the original panels and the work done could be mostly cosmetic with out the worry of comprimizing structural integrity. Anyways, I say go for it...just remember the old saying...measure twice , and cut once. In this case I'd say measure 42 times, cut once.

James