HybridZ

paint supply

grantf

Hi I have posted this on the classic z board also:

So the time to shoot color on my car is drawing near. Problem is where to get the paint from. The local Wesco shop can get me paint but they seem to only want to sell me the most expensive brand ($400 or more just for the base coat, no reducer, hardener, just the base). They say they can order cheaper paint but they seem really tough to work with. So option 2: I have a coworker that says he has a connection that can get him paint at cost no other info than that. Option 3: there is an online seller called carpaintonline.com but info on brands is really spotty but there prices look reasonable, but I am suspect of this site as I can find no good or bad reviews of the company. I am looking for 1978 Datsun 280z yellow. any advice?

Do you want the paint to last? To hold its color? To be even and uniform? To look good? If the answer is yes, then you might want to consider spending that $400 for your paint. If none of those things matter to you, then your best bet is going to be Walmart.

I'm with z2go, with all the time and money usually invested in body work/getting the car ready for paint, it would be a shame to save a few bucks on the actual paint and be disappointed. Unfortunately you usually get what you pay for with automotive paint. That being said, my dad used a fleet type non metallic paint on his 280zx almost 15 years ago, and it still looks great. If you are not worried about the paint looking like it is 30 feet deep, you may want to look at fleet paints. Eastwood has some yellows (I painted my engine block CAT yellow and it looks pretty sweet if I do say so myself). http://www.eastwood.com/paints/fleet-vehicle-paints.html

You didn't tell us what kind of paint you're planning on spraying. Enamel, laquer, urethane? Single stage or two stage w/ clear? Jumping from one to the other can cause quite a bit of price discrepancy. If you were planning a two stage urethane then that $400 is probably a pretty decent paint. If you were planning on shooting a single stage Acrylic Enamel then that $400 price does seem a little steep.

You don't give your location, or if you want to use Single Stage or BC/CC. What kind of primer is the car in, are you past the top coat time window or will you be shooting a new fresh coat prior to the top coat?

You mention base coat is $400 so do we assume you are shooting BC/CC. Is $400 for a gallon, if so that is probably more than you need to shoot a "Z" once you add in reducer and catalyst.

If you want a decent Single Stage for the money you can use PPG Omni but you have to deal with dust for about 30 minutes. A better catalyzed Single Stage is PPG Concept and is out of dust much quicker.

If you are shooting BC/CC a great high solids clear coat is Universal Clear from Southern Polyurethanes, about $200 for a setup to do a car. I would also consider using their normal reducer and water borne cleaner.

Edited by Scott_M67