HybridZ

Purchasing a 260z V8 need some help first!

Hello everyone I usually post on the S130 section but now I might be on here as well, I just found a 260z that's for sale not to far from where I live here in southern Oregon. I been asking around if $1200 maybe less for a 327 V8 powered 260z & 3 speed auto is a good price and worth buying? The Z looks to be in fair condition and has a aftermarket air dam 280z hood some generic wide old chrome wheels. It also looks to be a little faded in some body parts but still the same color, oh yeah and it has shaved door handle which is something I didn't like.

Any suggestions and pointers would be awesome thanks!

That is really, really cheap for any Z. Is it stolen? If not, it might have a crap ton of problems underneath that the seller is trying to offload without the buyer asking too many questions. I would be suspicious.

Yeah that crossed my mind but checking it out in person is the only way to find out i guess? I see a lot of Z's & ZX's for sale that hardly have any rust for a good price, there is a 73 240z here for sale also with the same engine but the body has been badly modified selling for $3500. The 240z's fender and whale tail wing has some pretty good cracks and you can see some rust threw the cracks. Anyway heres some pictures of the 260z i got off the Craigslist ad.

Edited by 280zx@541

Here is my advice: Unless you already know a lot about the V8 conversions, I would stay away from them unless you really, really trust the seller. If it's from a reputable person in the Z community that is known for quality work, then yea, go for it. The problem is, it is really easy to get the wool pulled over your eyes when buying such a modified vehicle, because you don't necessarily know what to look for unless you have already done it yourself, or you have researched it so much that you know the ins and outs of a V8 conversion. Not to say you shouldn't buy one, you just have to be careful. If you buy one, it could end up not even being close to the setup you want or really need, or worse, it could be just plain unsafe because of a poor install or corners cut on things like chassis reinforcement, etc.

There is a thread that has been going on with people talking about how much they have spent on their V8 conversion, it might be a good idea to go through that thread just to get an idea of what a real conversion costs, as well as look through some of the build threads to see what goes into it, so you might know better what to look for.

Here is my advice: Unless you already know a lot about the V8 conversions, I would stay away from them unless you really, really trust the seller. If it's from a reputable person in the Z community that is known for quality work, then yea, go for it. The problem is, it is really easy to get the wool pulled over your eyes when buying such a modified vehicle, because you don't necessarily know what to look for unless you have already done it yourself, or you have researched it so much that you know the ins and outs of a V8 conversion. Not to say you shouldn't buy one, you just have to be careful. If you buy one, it could end up not even being close to the setup you want or really need, or worse, it could be just plain unsafe because of a poor install or corners cut on things like chassis reinforcement, etc.

There is a thread that has been going on with people talking about how much they have spent on their V8 conversion, it might be a good idea to go through that thread just to get an idea of what a real conversion costs, as well as look through some of the build threads to see what goes into it, so you might know better what to look for.

This man speaks the truth!

When my father retired about a year and a half ago now, we decided to buy him a retirement gift. I got him into cars when I was 16, and it has been our mutual hobby since. There was a beautiful looking V8 Z on Craigslist (out in Roseville - for you z2go, who should know where I'm talking about) for an unbelievable price of $3500, which of course we snatched up. I paid $3400 for my rust free Z up in Chico, so $3500 for a V8 rust free Z seemed even better, right? Wrong.

The car was a hack job. Wiring was done twice over, heater cables were cut out rather than unscrewed. It was done quick and dirty, slapped with a fresh coat of paint and sold. Motor was some junk yard SMOG block from the early 80s, and the TH350 made a nice clunk when put into gear. I always found it funny how my Z with the L24 was still faster than the V8 Z.

I wound up sinking less than $100 into it (selling/trading the spare parts it came with) fixing most of what was wrong and made $1300 off of it after holding onto it for 6 months.

Here is a picture of what a "nice" car can look like.

post-6032-049194300 1292137713_thumb.jpg

post-6032-013690200 1292137720_thumb.jpg

You guys opened my eyes a lot more, you got great advice i never thought about all those things. See i always wanted a S30 didn't matter if it was a 240z, 260z, or 280z but now i will be very careful and read that thread and make sure I'm making the right choice for myself thank you for the replies guys. I'll keep you guys updated to see if i can get some pic's and maybe a video of the car.

Edited by 280zx@541

I've got a turbo Z for sale if you are interested in that option. ;) Check the for sale section.

Whatever you do if you are buying a car unseen, make sure the seller will satisfy you with any photos you request, and make sure they are clear. If the photos are unclear, or they don't fulfill your request I'd be cautious.

I've got a turbo Z for sale if you are interested in that option. ;) Check the for sale section.

Whatever you do if you are buying a car unseen, make sure the seller will satisfy you with any photos you request, and make sure they are clear. If the photos are unclear, or they don't fulfill your request I'd be cautious.

Really! i'll make sure to check it out thanks!