HybridZ

Need help with how to paint stripped shell

Charles Patterson

I have a series 1 z on a rotisserie. It is going to the body shop in January. I have not been able to figure out some of the details of where and how to paint it. Do the wheel wells get painted body color or are they undercoated black from the factory. How about under the car is it correct to paint the underside of the car body color or should it be under coated. It would obviously be cheaper to epoxy prime the underside and then under coat. What about the hardware along the front fenders? Body color or are they left bright. How did the factory assemble and paint the cars. Did they paint under the fenders and then assemble and paint the body or did they paint individual piecs and assemble the car? Any help in determining the correct way to paint the 20z would be great.

Thanks, Charles

Blue72,

The picture is great. Thats the kind of info I was looking for.

I realize what HybridZ is mainly for, but I also know there are a number of members that have amazing knowledge of the z cars and how they were built. Just trying to find some of that info that is hard to find elsewhere on the web.

Thanks, Charles

I guess it mainly depends on how "stock" you want it to look, or do you want to protect/paint the car using modern materials and techniques. There is a reason the originals rust so bad. Their protective materials and methods were poor to non-existant when compared to modern vehicle construction techniques.

Your choice.

BTW that pic is awsome!

Edited by ZR8ED