HybridZ

Spintech mufflers

Guest Anonymous

Hey Im still researching my exhaust options (from the loud pipe incident). I have decided on one thing for sure. Im going to add a x pipe. I found a place that sells them for $39 any size pipe(http://www.mufflertech.com)Call them toll free for details. After reading a recent article in HOT Rod about the x pipe matching open header performance (they dynoed several setups ,duals,h-pipes etc.)I was hooked. Now I just have to choose mufflers. Ive looked at the spins,flows, dynomax, supertrapp, etc. etc. Decisions decisions.....

Okay, after looking around at various mufflers and weighing the advice here I think I'm going to go with a pair of 7331 Spintechs. These ought to preserve ground clearance and really help with the sound. I've actually got a feeling that if I simply had a set of fully welded headers that the car would really quite down icon_rolleyes.gif but rather than take chances I'll do the Spintechs. If they're as loud as two chamber Flo's then the combined with the Sebring I should be pretty mellow and not real choked up.

One question though - they offer an "online price" but for th elife of me I see NO way to actually ORDER online. Huh?! So, it looks like Sanderson headers and Spintechs. Not cheap but I hope to not have to redo this anytime soon. While I think of it - am noticing NO heat in the cabin so far so the heat and sound insulation I laid down must be helping icon_smile.gif

Anyone else running Spintechs now? Tomorrow I goto work on the idle...

quote:

Originally posted by Super280z:

Ross,

there is no way that the phiberglass heating in these things will have any effect on the flow numbers. i dont know if you've ever seen one of these things but its literally a piece of 3" pipe with some fiberglass packed around it.

Thanks for the feedback, I used one like that up front as a resonator with a muffler out back. It was so restrictive even my wife driving my car sedately one night asked me what happened to the power.......even if the model you speak up flowed same as non-fibreglass I'd be concerned about the glass rusting out inside as something inside glasspacks seems to rust rather quickly in our climate that's typically 99% humidity 8mos. of the year.

Ross, i have one on my turbo motor. Its a LOUD muffler for sure. However, it is NOT louvered whatsoever so i really dont see any huge flow restriction.

Now, mine is at the END of the pipe not as a resonator so theres not much restriction at that point anyways.

Evan

PS.. it sounds bad as hell with my 3" all the way back. I went to a carshow and some freinds just LOVED the sound of the exhaust.

quote:

Originally posted by 73 240:

Hey RPMS......if you have the tools and you get to visit with Zfan could you record an audio clip for me to hear?

That would be awsome!

jake
icon_biggrin.gif

Ya know, it just strikes me that Plano ain't that far off the beaten path. Maybe sometime in the next week or so I can call Mike and arrange to come out and record some sounds of his car for the group.

What would y'all think about a webpage that had a lot of different muffler combinations recorded for everyone to hear? I could probably get enough room on our server to do just that, if interest was high enough.

And thanks for the offer of showing me your car, Mike! I'll e-mail you privately for a contact number.

Scott

I'm actually waffling between the Spintechs and the Edelbrock RPM mufflers. The Spintechs are $125 each and are aluminized unless you pay extra for stainless. The Edelbrocks are stainless, use ceramic wool, are maybe an inch taller, and are $79 apiece which is a decent savings. The Edelbrocks would probably be quieter too... Since I seem to have a bit of ground clearance to spare thanks to an awesome exhaust guy this is a real tough one to call. icon_sad.gif

I considered Supertrapps seriously for awhile. However I'm not sure I liked the look, they use fiberglass, and I had decided against running dual exhaust. I sort of wanted the big tip rice look and the 'trapps just weren't what I wanted. They're not bad mufflers but to get the car quiet enough I'd have probably had to really cork them up. Hrm, got any pics though? That might work well for others and it would be interesting to see how they look.