HybridZ

anyone know how they did this?

Guest Philanthr0py

Guest Anonymous

looks like auto trunk splatter paint out of an aerosol can.. used some splatter paint on my cherry tree recently as "wound paint" after I removed a large limb....

Guest greimann

The product is called Zolatone. That particular shade looks like Lilith Charcoal. It can be found at auto paint stores. Application requires a pressure feed paint gun because the stuff is thick and cannot be thinned. Some inexpensive Sears paint guns can be converted to pressure feed. The stuff looks weird in the can. It is made up of bits of incompatible components that stay as blobs and don't mix. Because it is textured and multicolored, it hides scratches, dings, bad weld and small animals that blunder into the wet paint and become entrapped.

http://www.zolatoneaim.com/

I know two people that have used the Zolatone and one guy clered his and the other didn't. The one that didn't has problems with dust accumulation and is hard to clean. It may be that there was a difference in the way it was applied since is was two different people though.

Guest bang847

what is that thing that is hooked up to the valve cover breather? any one know where they sell that?

is it simple plumbling to replicate? or is it something that you can only buy?

oh... that car is clean..... sweet..

how does the ingition system work? was the dizzy shaft cut? or a bearing inserted into its place? anyone know?

Guest greimann

It would probably stick OK if you preped the surface right. I think a more important question is how would it look? This kind of paint requires uniform distribution of its flecks over a wide area to aviod the "tiger stripe" look. The little rattle cans of fleckstone I beleive are a two can process and then you will need multiple sets of the stuff (maybe 4 or 5?) to cover the entire compartment. Trying to lay down a uniform coverage and have it look half way decent is going to be difficult at best.

On the other hand, If you get a quart of Zolatone and a cheap pressure feed spray gun, the cost may be fairly similar to 5 kits of fleckstone and the job will look 10x better. Think about it....

Guest Zachb55

that paint does look very good, really cleans up the compartment nicely, certainly looks well worth the price, and if you are going to pay for it why not go the extra step and clear it for an ensured easier-to-clean surface? :D

-Zach