HybridZ

do I need to make head bolts watertight?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all, I have a question. Before I install the sb chev there is a nagging thought. I used ARP head bolts lightly lubricated with engine oil but did not use teflon tape or silicone on the threads. Is this a mandatory step with this engine? I want to be sure. If there are only a few that need sealer, does anyone know which? Thanks.

Yes, intake sbc bolts need to be sealed. Perhaps not all as some go into blind holes in the heads whereas others pass thru areas exposed to oil. And you can get oil seeping up those bolts, a common leak on sbc's. And if you get that leak, one fix can be placing a couple soft (brass/copper caliper washers) under the leaking bolt head.....can work quite well.

The end bolts AIR just go into blind holes, all others go into oil exposed and some may go into coolant exposed passages but not sure. If I were you, I'd remove your current bolts

-clean bolts with brake cleaner/wire wheel to degrease

-brake cleaner on a rag poked into each hole to soak up some oil......then carefully spray a bit of cleaner (for this I use electrical contact clearn, it's less abrasive than brake cleaner I think.....as it's non-destructive on rubbers/plastics etc) into each tapped hole, drys quick..

-use the loctite PST (same as GM stuff, just cheaper) on the threads and reinstall

good luck.