HybridZ

76' 280z 4 spd to 280zx BW Straight Install?

SirLaughsALot

Hi everyone. I have a local Borg Warner 5spd (Close Ratio 81-83) for sale that I am thinking of picking up for our 280z with a current 4 spd and R200 3.54 rear end.

I have read conflicting information regarding this being either a direct bolt on swap or the following modifications:

Relocate Trans Bracket

Shorten Driveshaft

Replace U-Joint with 81-83 280zx Rectangular

What I am hoping for is a direct bolt on using the 280z clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. I wouldn't mind upgrading to the 2+2 CL+PP+FW to hold the extra torque we plan on making, but I am unsure if any of this works yet to continue with planning.

Thanks everyone,

-Ryan

Assuming this is a BW T5, the matching driveshaft will be needed (or a custom driveshaft built). The stock driveshaft will also need to be shortened. I'm not sure if the rear flange will mate to the R200 without a yoke change. Not sure of the trans mount either but can take a measurement tonight to compare a stock 5 speed with the BW T5. The 225mm clutch can be utilized. The Nissan BW T5 is not a close ratio box. First gear is 3.50:1 and intended to be run with a 3.54 r&p. Any higher r&p (3.70, 3.90 or 4.11) will start rendering 1st gear useless. I'm building a WC BW T5 for my 240Z SC'd project. It is a Mustang case with a close ratio gearset (2.95:1 first gear). The bellhousing, top cover and tailhousing are all off a '83 280ZX Turbo.

Edited by ezzzzzzz