HybridZ

MAF problem

RB240AFZ

my first time posting on any forum, bcause usually i can find the answer with the search. S2 rb25det in a 73 240z...the problem is with the MAF plugged in, the engine starts and smokes then cuts off, but with the MAF unplugged the engine starts and idles fine with no smoke, but will not rev up...

I've tried the following.

new to me but used MAF

thanks in advance for any help.

First of all, has this engine setup in your z previously run prior to the MAF problem? if not, then did you wire up the MAF? the autoelectrician which did mine, wired my MAF incorrectly (2 wires switched around) and so it started, smoked (really rich) and then over fueled itself. Not sure if this is same as the problem you've got, but check the wiring and check what colour sticker is on your MAF, from memory i think you require a pink sticker.

First of all, has this engine setup in your z previously run prior to the MAF problem? if not, then did you wire up the MAF? the autoelectrician which did mine, wired my MAF incorrectly (2 wires switched around) and so it started, smoked (really rich) and then over fueled itself. Not sure if this is same as the problem you've got, but check the wiring and check what colour sticker is on your MAF, from memory i think you require a pink sticker.

she would start and idle just fine with the maf plugged in before i replaced the water-pump and thermostat.

all plugs and grounds were labeled and i also checked the timing. i did not wire up the MAF in fact i took her into a shop and had painless wiring installed. also i do have the pink label MAFs.

thanks 260zman i'll check this out asap.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm helping him with this Z, and this is what I've found so far:

Is the shielding really necessary if the wiring isn't ran close to the CAS?

The initial problem ended up being the ground pin did not have continuity to ground (and it also had an RB20 auto ECU). It now runs with the MAF plugged in.

It still runs incredibly rich which I think is a bad temp sensor (or bad connection) and the fact that it is using the stock 240z fuel lines (the return is too small).

yeper the power and ground on the maf its self can interfear with signal wire if its not hooked up right with the sheled wire. on mine i had to run it in the front away form everything and then run my power and ground wires for the maf with the old harness so it would stop braking up in the lower r's

It's got a pink sticker one on it now, which I heard was interchangeable.

It might be something to check. I got the Consult hooked up and it I cleared the codes. It hasn't triggered any since then but the MAF is putting out about 2.5v on idle which I think might be an issue. My Sentra idles around 1v MAF voltage so I'm thinking big vacuum leak or wrong/bad MAF.