HybridZ

q45 carrier in a long nose r200?

Larcis

So i've been reading for the last couple nights and searching around and can not find what would be involved in a carrier swap if it is possible, If it is this would be the route that I would like to go for my 75 280zt, because drifting is one of my favorite past times... well isn't it for everyone!

If you want to drift, I would not recommend a viscous unit. I know a lot of guys swap them in their S13/S14s, but the units can heat-soak really easily (especially in the R200 longnose, which doesn't cool as well as its finned cover counterparts) and if the viscous gel overheats, it ends up being an open differential. Add to that you would need different half-shafts (and probably companion flanges, maybe even stub-axles), because the spline count for the Q45 R200 and your R200 are different (30 spline vs. 29 spline).

An air-locker or clutch-type unit would probably be the better way to go. The 4x4 guys have cheap air lockers available for the R200A (the "front" version of the R200 on Nissan 4x4 vehicles) and I saw a Nismo CLSD for that one on eBay for like $250 awhile back.

r200 are everywhere in junk yards. If its only for drift purposes, I would just go grab one from the junk yard and weld that sucker.

However, It can be done. You can use the internals on the longnose, but you will still have to keep the 6 bolt flange axles so either way, it still gets really pricey because then, you have to get custom axles etc. Your better off with the mordernmotorsports q45 mount kit to begin with if that is what you really want. Someone has a wright up on r200 short internals into longnose on the z31 website. Too bad I don't have the link.