HybridZ

true color of tail light panel

staledale

I've got a couple of the rear tail light panels that I was going to paint and sell. They all have been repainted a flat black that isn't very nice looking. Was wondering what the paint code or color they should be painted. Have a car that I'm putting epoxy primer on, so i thought I'd strip them prime them at the same time. Thanks.

no, the original color is more of a dark grey, rather than black. i'm not sure what the color is called or where you can buy it, but i went out to home depot and bought some gun metal grey spray paint and painted it. its a little bit lighter now, but i think it looks pretty good.

Guest Anonymous

When I got my car, the panel was flat black, but under the license plate it was a dark greyish color, so I guess as some have said, it is dark grey...They also painted the chrome taillight trim flat black, and WOW, it looks killer 2thumbs.gif very sleek looking.

The stuff I have is:

39263 Dark Titanium Metallic made by SEM. It is actually a bumper coater in a spray can. I picked this info up from Zcar about 3 years ago.

After seeing one of the original 240Z rebuilds in Courtesy Nissan's showroom, this is very very close to what that actual color was or is, if not the exact color. Without getting them to take their Z out of the showroom in the sun light I can't say it is exact.

Guest KraZ4spd

According to the book "How To Restore Your Datsun Z-Car", the early models had 'a silver grey "match scratcher" finish.' The guy in this book says he uses a grey lacquer with a suede agent added. The Later models had a matte black finish which was the same as the grill of all 1st Gen. Z Cars.

Guest Anonymous

been on the board for 10 minutes and im already adding stuff to the "to-do" list, hehe ;)

Our panel may need a lil' touch up. thanks for the paint code smile.gif

280rear.JPG

• 9 months later...