HybridZ

Video game cockpit

75280z

SO here is what I am thinking, and I am asking for advise or whether you think it would be do-able. I am thinking about picking up some either 1/2", 3/4", or 1" conduit and using a bender and building something like the setup shown below. Here are my questions is conduit going to be thick enough to handle a seat and the weight of a person. I weigh 170. I think with the bends that will cause it to be ridged enough to take my weight, but I haven't been to the store to look at the conduit. I think I might be able to assemble a sweet cockpit for pretty cheap. I will give a quick mock up of what I am thinking. I was thinking about picking up an AK rocker and dismantling it to put into my system as well. I think I might be trying this pretty soon just wonder what size of conduit to get. I am loking at the frame first, then the steering rack. I am going to go and look at conduit today most likely.

5346642717_9bf67c4caa_b.jpg

rino_gtr10.jpg

Yeah it isn't and exact, its more of a prototype right now, I have the main structure built and going to go pick up an RX7 seat tonight (It was free!!) and get it put into main frame then go about setting up my wheel. I think it turned out ok we will see if the conduit will stand up to the weight. The front is 1/2 conduit while the part that goes up and around the back is 3/4s. I tried a harbor freight conduit bender it didn't work. so I had to do the rear part.

Crappy Bends Below

5350658664_d559d72561.jpg

5350069501_f229056163.jpg

Good Bends!

5350068781_3a21d1e2d1.jpg

5350682074_1b05c80fbc.jpg

5350068973_5dc73ee3b1.jpg

SO it is done, that is until I get a better wheel set up, because then I will have pedals and can figure out how to mount them, after that I am going to paint the whole frame white. SO the total bill for the materials was ... less than 20 bucks because the seat was free. Unfortunately I didn't have the conduit bender so that was 40 bucks . So if any one needs to use the conduit bender and is in the denver area feel free to hit me up.

So it looks a little crooked but when I sit in it I don't notice. If any one wants I can write a write up on how I built it, when I get the new wheel, I will most likely add a plate to the upper part to mount it as well as the set the pedals on. Things that could have made the hole thing go better a die grinder, and a seat that has a very flat bottom that way it is easier to mount. Enjoy

5353101617_5263a499a9.jpg

5353715442_bf1af45c91.jpg

5353101061_e4d156ae1c.jpg

5353100929_56b1a23f7d.jpg

If you find that the EMT pipe is flimsy or fails at supporting you you should look into Kendorf. I dont know if Home Depot carries it because i get it through an electrical supply house but it will definatly hold up and they make alot of differant brackets for angels and such. Much like a larger Erector Set.

Thank you for the information. It is doing a fine job holding me up, but for some bigger people I don't know if it would do as well. I played for a couple hours yesterday, and I really enjoyed it, I think I need to move the steering wheel down some, but this will be an evolving project over the next couple months. I would also say as much as I love the RX7 seat and it was free, I need to find a much lighter seat because I have to move this thing and all the extra weight from a seat makes it more difficult. then so I am going to try and still track down an old AK rocker.

The main draw back with this set up, is to bulky and hard to move around. I went ahead and built a second one that works with the AK Rocker 100. all it is is a stand that the wheel is on (when I get a wheel with pedals I will set those in there) and a hoop that sits under the rocker to keep it from rocking, so the rocker can be used anytime, and when the wheel stand is not in use I hang it on the wall in the garage. That set up weighs 10lb's less and separates to make for easier storage. it cost about 6 bucks in material if even. I will try and post up some pictures, have raced many hours in it, and while I love the idea of using a real car seat it is hard to lug that thing out to the garage all the time, the wifelikes the living room to stay clean.