HybridZ

msd tach function v8

hpltree

ok here we go for starters yes i have searched for hours on this topic and no answers apply to my car.. i have a 73 240 with a chevy 350 conversion as per the JTR book. MSD dist, and 6al box , and 8920 tach adapter. the only stock ignition wire i am using is the black one with the protective sleeve for the MSD key hot wire . i have a 77 or 78 280 z tach in the car hooked up as per the MSD adapter instructions black to ground red to 12v key hot white to 6al box tach output violet to tack sensing with the 15k ohm resiter the jtr book says to use . I also have the stock connector on the tach going to ground and getting voltage with the violet spliced into the signal wire, still not woking. i am not using the green and white wire or the othe black wire for anything. i dont think this should this hard but i am missing the fix,, one question i have is does the 280z tach use 12v or the 9 1/2 like the 240 . with so many folks on here someone must have this set up and got a handle on it ,, thanks for the help .

so with the 8920 msd tach adapter box installed with the 77 or 78 tach it still does not work .. it also almost left me stranded. me and my friend went to the corner market and the car would not start .. it was not hot but i had added some timing and it cranked slow and no start. we got a jump from on looker and when it started it was home bound fast no stops.. scary but we made it. she died around the corner with 12.2 volts left in the battery coasted in the garage . after un hooking the tach adapter and retarding the timing just a bit she started right up but will not idle.. ill tell you if i burnd up another msd box i am done. ./.,. the jump start also burned up the alternator internal reg and now the stock 73 240 amp guage just pegs when i rev it up , i am hoping that when i replace the alt the idle stall will go away. not to happy at this time, but i did get the car sidways after the jump start i just hammered it and she went ,, real hard so i smiled in my anger if that makes sence.. LOL. i will have to just put in an autometer tach like most , or just live with out ... looking at this post it sounds just like when i had fast boats they are fun when they run and not fun when they dont.. thanks again for all the help i will get it sorted out ;)

just in case anyone was interested i got it fixed. turns out the alternator was good and i had some junk in my carb that kept it from idleing. cleaned out the carb and put in a new power valve and super duper. the amp guage still moves around alot more than it used to but whatever.. still no tach , i am in the market for an autometer i think