HybridZ

fuel filler rust

Guest ebay240z

Guest ebay240z

I have rust around the fuel filler opening in my rear quarter panel on my 72 240. The rust is where the fuel filler 'box' was seam sealed to the rear quarter. Unfortunately it is clear through the metal in a couple of fairly large areas (1x2 inch). I already removed the fuel filler 'box' in order to patch the quarter panel from the rear (mig weld in a patch). However it looks tricky because there is a curved area in the filler opening of the quarter panel. Before I try and start to patch it I wanted to see if anyone here has modified their z with another type of filler opening/door. If anyone has an idea for a new type of fuel filler door, or has any experience trying to patch this area I would appreciate any suggestions. I bought this car for 250 bones from ebay so I am trying to keep the costs down. I am hoping to make it a nice little autocrosser with chevy v8 power.

Well, you could drill the areas w/ a 1/4 inch bit through the quarter panel to the "fuel filler box" and spot weld it in place and use an automotive sealer of some sort to seal the crevice. One of those rubber flaps I believe helps keep some of the moisture out of that area as well. Those tricky Japanese must have put it there for a reason tongue.gif