HybridZ

lost hp! need help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hello all

i'm not much of a mechanic myself and this is my first post. and i need all the help i can. well let me tell you what happened, i ran my fuel tank out to test the fuel gauge. and once that was all done with, i put fuel back into my tank, only to find the car not performing as well as it used to. it's a noticable decrease in performance! well i have a 350 chevy block in my 240. i'm guessing maybe the fuel filter? i dont know. please, anyone who can help. any input would be appreciated.

phuc

Welcome to the forum picsofupl,

Running your tank empty allows your fuel pick up to suck up all the junk floating around in your tank. Changing the fuel filter should get you up and going better. Try that first.

Your pick up may be clogged up aswell. You can try using compressed air through the lines going into the tank(while fuel cap is off) to clear out the screen. If that doesn't work you will have to drain and drop the tank and take it to a radiator shop with a cleaning vat(sp?). Get them to seal it after the cleaning. While you have the tank out you should inspect any fuel lines going to the tank, for brittleness/cracking. Replace with only fuel rated lines of the same size as what was pulled off. You could just go with a fuel cell, but thats a whole other can of worms. Good luck

Guest Anonymous

Yep, I agree with Spotfitz that is a re-ocurring problem with any older car. The permanent solution is to pull the tank, have a shop boil it out and test for leaks and replace. Short term don't run it low (as you found out) on gas and check your fuel filter often.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

ok, finally i have time to change the fuel filter today, and was wondering is there any precautions and forewarnings that i should know before and

after i put in a new filter?

Make sure lines are not cracked, replace if necessary... and tighten the hose clamps. Its quite a simple job, just remember that when you pull the lines off you will have fuel coming out. I usually just put my finger over the hole to stem the flow while I get everything straightened away. Make sure you have everything you need within arms reach though. icon_smile.gif

Oh yeah if this is an EFI engine, make sure you relieve the fuel pressure before you disconnect anything!

Do you have fuel filters in your carb? They would be inside the carb itself where the fuel line(s) go in and will look like sintered brass. That might also be plugged up. You may have also gotten some gunk into the carb itself if it got past all of the filters. It might also have damaged the pump but if it did then fuel pressure or delivery would be hampered and it might not even run at all.

How exactly is it behaving now? Same? No go at WOT or does it have trouble puttering around town too? icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

the car drives fine, it just doesn't accelerate as quickly as it used to. i'll check my carbs for any filters and clean whatever i can.

i've got one more question, sorry, the car stalls a little when i punch it. as if it's choking for gas/air. just for a split second though. it's been doing this before i got the car, and i think i've been noticing that it stalls a little bit more since my fuel tank ran dry. any help would be appreciated. thanks to all who have replied so far.

Sounds like the pumps on the carbs aren't squirting enough fuel when you stand on it. If its a holley then check that they aren't blocked by manually openning the throttle while looking down the carb barrels. If you see fuel squirting (must be quite a good spray and not just a dribble), you may need either bigger pump jets or a quicker pump linkage cam. If this is a bit too complicated for your abilities (stripping down a carb), it shouldn't cost more than about 50 bucks + parts at a mechanic shop, or spend 30 bucks on a holley manual and then you will be able to do it yourself, along with learning how to all the other adjustments...remember, give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach him how to catch fish and he will eat forever! Sorry if that sounds hokey icon_rolleyes.gif

Tim