HybridZ

Painted my engine bay today! Pics------->>>

80LS1T

Well I finally got to paint my engine bay today. Me and my Step-Dad primered it last night with a grey primer and let is set over night. Then today we sanded it down and got ready to paint. First we used a Silver base coat with metalic in it and put 3 coats of that on. Then we(he's the one painting) used the Cobalt Blue Kandy and put 2 coats of that on(the more you use the darker it gets). After that we put 3 coats of clear on and right now it is curing! There are a few spots that didn't as much Blue that I would have liked but hey painting an engine bay sure isn't easy! The spots we couldn't get are going to be cover anyway so you wont be able to see it anyways. Under the battery tray sure wasn't easy(I have choosen to leave the tray where it is because I think that moving the battery is silly but that's just my opinion!) Up by the head lights was kinda hard too. But overall I would give it a 8.5 out of 10. It is deffinetly 1000 times better than before! :Dcheers.gif

Anyways here's some pics!

Silver_baseSM.jpg

This is the silver base coat.

Blue_cobaltSM.jpg

This is the Blue Cobalt Kandy coat.

So what do you guys think? I LOVE IT!!!!! rockon.gifcheers.gif

Guy

WOW, very pretty! Can't wait to see the rest of the car done in that color. How is the body work doing and how long before you start painting everything else?

In some cases like this:

Smvc-507f.jpg

The battery must be moved! As you can see the turbo down pipe would likely be touching the battery.

Anyways, moving the battery to the back can often help your weight distribution. I've added a few pounds to the front of the car, so the battery move will help a little. I only have a turbo inline sixer, so I think the v8 is heavier. My car lowered about a 1/2" in the front after having the new engine in, and I have the engine as far back as it will go (behind the front sway bar even.)

Guest greimann

Very striking! You are going to need sunglasses to work on the motor from now on! :cool:

One thing I noticed is you left the AFM bracket in there. Is there a future use plan for that or do you think it would have been better to remove it before paint??

Looking great Guy! Dave G's sure got better eyes than me to see the AFM bracket.

Battery reloction just improved a lot of items for me. Steering effort/servicing-installing-checking plugs/headers/starter and keeping it clean/dry underneath the tray. I can swap all plugs on mine very quickly and easily with present setup. I really try to maximize my driving and minimize my wrenching smile.gif Plus my new battery location/install I integrated with some alarming aspects ;) and an Optima just sinks into a 280ZX tool well so nicely it didn't take away any functional space on me. Just my .02c.

Yeah I left teh AFM mount there because I am probably mount the MSD box there and/or coil. I will think of something! Or it might serve as a mount for the cold air intake to mount on before going out in front of the radiator.

As for the rest of the car...

I have to wait until the end of March before I will have my engine rebuilt(doing it at school on my own(tech college)). After it is in I will be painting it. So probably in the middle of April before I am completly done. cheers.gif

As for the battery tray. I just couldn't see how 30-40lbs could make all the difference I weight. However if and only if my car is like 50 lbs off of 50/50 weight distribution front to back will I move it. I just want to see how close it is before I go to the trouble of moving it.

By the way I updated my site so that the pics are clickable. I also have bigger pics of the paint job too! So you can get the full effect of the paint!

Guy rockon.gif:D