HybridZ

Is sound deadener worth the weight penalty?

Guest macks

I'm midway through de-sound-deadening the rear underside of my 260 2-seater, hunting for rust. So far there's none, and i'll sand it all down and POR-15 it to keep it that way. Putting it all back together though...

- Is sound deadener actually that effective?

- How much does the stuff weigh, and is it worth it?

Guest Anonymous

I think the trade off for the added weight (about 30 pounds) depends on what you do with the car. Drag racing or cruising?

I found this link on the Zcar site:

http://www.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=40;t=008863;p=

This may or may not add to the confusion. I have heard alot of positive feedback about how this stuff makes a difference in road noise, but I have no feedback about long term affects, such as harbouring moisture and growing rust.

Yeah, really meant to put that bit of information in the post. Oh well smile.gif

It's a car built for street use, but doubling as a weekend warrior at auto-x/track events. It'll have to serve as a daily driver at least some of the time, so it's a question of whether the relatively small amount of sound deadening does much in the way of sound insulation...

If it's only 30 pounds, I can live with that. If it's up around the 150pound mark - it's outta here! smile.gif

Guest Night_rider_383

In my case with my 88 camaro the good sound deadener saved weight over the oem stuff.

I pulled up all the carpet, rubber backing, cotton/jute padding, etc that was stock in my car, and replaced it with 6 rolls of peel and seal, then on top of the peel and seal I used a 4' x 25' roll of something that looked like 2 alum space blankets with bubble wrap in the middle. Then put down light weight replacement carpet like sold at wal-mart, auto zone, advanced auto parts, etc

I heard real good stuff about the peel and seal, alot of folks even saying its better than dynamat, then just by looking at that alum/bubble stuff you can tell it will block out heat real good plus stop some sound

Here's the weight and price list from mine

52 lbs oem carpet and under lay/padding

22 lbs 6 rolls peel & seal with wrapping

7 lbs 4' x 25' alum/bubble padding

5 lbs 3 rolls light weight carpet

4 lbs peel and seal backing paper, tubes, plastic (this is weight took off of the peel and seal, not put into car the stuff that gets un peeled from it)

$130.00 6 rolls peel and seal, 4' x 25'

alum./bubble stuff (lowe's)

$25.58 3- 36''x72'' rolls of ozite black lightweight carpet (wal-mart)

I dont know about the sound but I WOULD make sure you have some good heat insulation! My every day driver in college was a 69 mustang that I had rebuilt. All it had on the floor was a carpet kit with a bit of backing. I was running a pretty hot 351W and headers. Your feet would get so hot you would sweet in the winter time! I really dont care about sound but Im going to put something down to keep the heat out!

Okay - I've not heard of many of these things, but i'm very familiar with the weatherstripping tape (aluminum backed bitumen sticky sheeting/tape stuff) as I've done some soundproofing with it in my doors and interior floor after POR-15'ing - but I'm not too aware of the rest of the things you're talking about. Have you got any links/further info/suppliers?

PS: I know what dynamat is - expensive. smile.gif weatherstripping tape is an uber cheap alternative to it, thats arguably just as effective

Guest Night_rider_383

Here's the link to the company that makes peel and seal. www.mfmbp.com

It's made and sold as a roll roofing and roof patch for houses but from what I heard on this board and over at nastyz28.com it makes a great sound and heat block.

I looked all over for it and the only place I could find that sold it out here was Lowe's. It comes in a 6'' wide roll x 25' long

The other stuff I was talking about the alum/bubble stuff. I did'nt plan on useing it, or buying it. I didnt even know about it till I seen it at Lowe's.

After I got all the peel and seal that had (6 rolls) I went to the insulation lines just to look for something that I could use cause I needed alittle more than 6 rolls of that other.

Close to the pink fiberglass house insulation I seen a bunch of rolls of alum. sheet looking stuff. I grabbed a roll and cut the plastic wrapping off some so I could see it better, after looking at it I made my mind up to get some of it as it looked like it would be a great heat and sound block.

It's about 3/8'' thick, has foil on both sides then like plastic bubble wrap stuff in the middle of the up and bottom foils. This has no glue or anything on it like the peel and seal, so I just used 3M spray glue for like headliners, trim, etc to stick it down with