HybridZ

evo420's rebuild l28et

evo420

i got a call from my machine shop and he said i was a little under size on my rods. maybe i should try running some thicker oil or higher oil pressure. I am thinking of doing both.... so my question is how can i get the higher oil pressure??

more pics for ya. i have decided to paint it all black cause that what i want lol :)

post-16812-018556400 1297478406_thumb.jpg

post-16812-072952200 1297478425_thumb.jpg

post-16812-097914800 1297478474_thumb.jpg

post-16812-075294700 1297478481_thumb.jpg

post-16812-062067400 1297478500_thumb.jpg

i got a call from my machine shop and he said i was a little under size on my rods. maybe i should try running some thicker oil or higher oil pressure. I am thinking of doing both.... so my question is how can i get the higher oil pressure??

i also wanted to know where everybody gets their head gaskets???? i got the wrong one twice from different places :(

I hate to be a downer, but unless those coatings on the pistons are baked on, I can't help but comment on what a bad idea that looks like. :(

In answer to your higher oil pressure question, there are spring and shim kits sold to adjust oil pressure. You should be able to get your hands on a DL Potter kit for a good price on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-Pump-Relief-Valve-Spring-Kit-all-L-Series-Datsun-/160484571361?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255da038e1#ht_500wt_900

Edited by Oddmanout84

baked on at 350 for one hour after the part reached target temp. i went all out on coating the pistons because i got them for 16$ bucks without a wrist pin. i had a few laying around and some extra cash so i got a toaster oven off ebay and took it from there. they are some really good coatings just be sure to pre-bake and clean old parts or just clean new parts with acetone. The dry film lube will buff off with time from friction but it will be baked into the metal and stay around for a while.

i been workin on it today and i can say the stock head gasket looks exactly like the one i got from rock auto. it's a beck arnley gasket. so for 8 bucks you really can't beat it. i was thinkin about copper coating it before i install tomorrow. my rod bolts and head studs came in today... i will post up some pics of it tomorrow after i get done torque-in her down and maybe we can get some motor mount fab goin on

i was going to ask what does anyone think of copper coating head gaskets?? yes or no

I've copper coated every head gasket I've done. Only had trouble with the head gasket failing again on a Toyota 7M, but I don't think that was the copper coating's fault.

I've copper coated every head gasket I've done. Only had trouble with the head gasket failing again on a Toyota 7M, but I don't think that was the copper coating's fault.

aint a 7m all aluminum tho?? i heard that it was something to do with the iron block and aluminum head with the diff expansion rates that causes probs when copper coating a gasket. but then again he is one of those mechanics that if they aint involved they get all pissy and try to mind screw ya to waste time. He has done it to me multiple times to the point i dont want to listen to him but he dose have 30 years experience on me

I hate to be a downer, but unless those coatings on the pistons are baked on, I can't help but comment on what a bad idea that looks like. :(

In answer to your higher oil pressure question, there are spring and shim kits sold to adjust oil pressure. You should be able to get your hands on a DL Potter kit for a good price on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-Pump-Relief-Valve-Spring-Kit-all-L-Series-Datsun-/160484571361?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255da038e1#ht_500wt_900

dont the shim kits just raise the pressure at above idle not at idle. i would hate to trash my new bearings... so i just need thicker oil now