HybridZ

Driveshaft length for 75 280z turbo swap

neilbey

Hi guys,

Never posted, but here it goes:

I'm in the process of swapping in an 83 turbo motor and T5 trans into a 75 280z. Unfortunantely, the online swap guides that I've seen had nothing in there about driveshafts and lengths.

Now I understand that the front input shaft on the stock driveshaft needs to be changed to the T5 input shaft; my question is this though:

I will be taking the T5 driveshaft and Stock 280z driveshaft into the shop to have the input shaft swapped over. I read that the length of the driveshaft will have to be shortened about an inch as well. Can anyone confirm this with a measurement - i.e. a measurement from yoke pin to yoke pin that's part of the actual driveshaft? And please specify whether that's center to center or end to end measurement.

Appreciate all the information you guys have put on here. It's definitely helped me tremendously so far.

Edited by neilbey

Well, took the driveshafts out of both cars, and it turns out the differential flange on both are the same. So all I have to do is cut the 280zx turbo shaft down a smidge. Would still like an actual figure on how much I need to cut it down though.

• 2 weeks later...

For the many people that are following this thread...

Tried bolting up the stock 83 turbo driveshaft into the 75, and it worked... No cutting. Nothing. Now I'm not sure if I'm a special case and just happened to have a different differential flange, but this could be a good little tidbit of information for anybody in the future.

Peace