HybridZ

Fender Mounter Mirrors? Legal?

Guest TKR514

I always thought that the Fairlady syle fender mounted mirror were cool. Now that I'm into a restoration, I was wondering if I could mount those kind of mirrors on my fenders and remain legal here in the U.S. Is it illegal to mount them there?

Guest 240hybrid

While on the subject of mirror legalities....is it legal to have NO side mirrors at all, and only have the 1 rearview mirror inside the car? :confused: I never use the thing, I always look over my shoulder to be 100% sure Im clear for the lane change. Dont wanna takeout a motorcycle, or anybody for that fact.

Chase

I think you need one inside and one outside... Dual outside is an option but I think that there has to be at least one. I know you can fail an inspection around here if the outside mirror glass is broken/missing...

Guest Anonymous

The rule is that you must have your drivers side mirror and a rear view mirror. I know all about it because I had a 73 Catalina w/o the side view mirror and I got pulled over several times until I finally got one put on it.

Guest JAMIE T

I think the laws state that IF you have a right and left outside mirror, you don't need an interior rearview mirror. Think of large trucks and vans with low or no rearview visibility. Rented a U-Haul lately? A box Van? No interior mirrors in them.

As for the fender mounted mirrors? I have not gotten any tickets with mine. I'm also very sure MSA DOES NOT sell the correct style "Fairlady Z" fender mirrors. You will have to settle for Talbot mirrors unless you get some from Japan.

Guest 240hybrid

Oh well....I wanted to get rid of the stock driver side mirror, but if its a necessity by law I'll go with the bullet style provided by MSA instead of that odd shaped pretruding weird.gif stock one. Good info to know before I went did away with it.