HybridZ

Paint over POR 15???

Guest TKR514

Just a newbie question. I removed some surface rust in the wheel well & frame. Can I use POR 15 over the rust and then use regular color over it? Some of the POR 15 will be near the trans tunnel and engine bay that I'm repainting...

Guest 240hybrid

I would recommend that after you remove the surface rust with a wire wheel, use Por 15's "METAL READY". This will remove any left over rust on the metal remaining, while etching the metal for paint adhesion and coating it with zinc phosphate to promote chemical bonding of paint and steel. You could just paint it with Por 15's paint, but IMO I like to remove all the rust to ensure no return of it.

good luck Chase

Don't paint directly over POR without properly preparing it. The easiest way is to use a POR product called Tie Coat. It bonds to POR and, in turn will accept primer or finish paint. I understand that you can fog on a coat of primer over POR as it is curing, but that always struck me as risky. I have had paid lift off POR & Tie Coat, but it appears to be directly related applying the Tie Coat several years after POR and not adequatly cleaning the surface.

Go to POR's web site they are pretty clear as to the process.

gw