HybridZ

Blown head gasket LT1

Today I found that the reason my engine has been running like crap is not the optispark, but unfortunately is a much larger pain in the ass. Compression testing 5 of the cylinders I got 30, 0, 0, 0, and 140. Needless to say I didn't bother with the rest once I read zero's from both sides. I didn't have time to pull the heads (and probably won't for a few weeks since I went back to school today) but at minimum I'm sure I have a blown head gasket. I'm thinking at worst it could be burned valves and/or cracked heads? Also I noticed the coolant getting some brown foam in it (although the oil is clean and smells fine).

My thoughts are that the engine probably got cooked (I had some issues with cooling earlier) although its possible its something the previous owner did (Like a dumbass I bought the engine as-is. Also he said he had done a 'light rebuild' so maybe he messed something up? although I don't think that he had pulled the heads)

So where do you guys think I should go from here. If I pull the heads and they look alright and measure straight should I just put in new head gaskets? My debate is that I have seen some LT1's with comparable mileage going on craigslist for around 500, and replacing the head gaskets (assuming I don't have to get them resurfaced) would cost me at least 200 alone (I'm kinda on a tight budget...). If the engine got cooked do you think some other parts are going to be damaged as well, and cause more problems down the road? How likely do you think it is that the heads are warped?

I hate to say it after all the time and money I've put into this engine, but it almost seems like it'd be more cost effective to replace it either with another LT1 (although that could have its own set of problems) or just a regualar sbc.

What do you guys think?