HybridZ

Rust panel sealer

Len

I've been repairing some rust areas using metal pieces riveted over the rust. I first painted rust with POR. I was wondering what have you guys used to seal between the metal riveted sheet metal and the hole to prevent water entering in the future?

Guest Zachb55

well if its not a place where looks would be a concern then just body sealant would probably work best, with a coat of paint or POR over it, and if looks do matter then you should probably body fill it, using fiber hair first, but by the procedure you undertook im guessing you arent worried about prettyness...

-Zach

you are right looks aren't a concern. Its under the car. I was even told to use cold tar out of a caulking gun. Sounds ok I guess it will stay flexable so it won't crack or seperate. What do you mean by body sealant? Bondo?

Guest freakypainter

first you need to coat with a good self etch primer then you need to get some SEAM SEALER. it comes in tubes and cans and you can even get a 2 part seam sealer from companies like 3M or SEM. then you need to go over that with somekind of undercoating or primer/sealer. contact local autobody supply store. Finishmaster and Autocolor are national chains.