HybridZ

Replacing body panel?

JoeinCA

Hello,

I have seen a few threads concerning replacing various parts of the Z body, but i cannot recall any posts concerning replacement of the rocker panel(i think that's what it is called, the rearward section of the unibody, right below the door)?

I have a nasty rust hole there, and a donor unibody, sounds like a match made in heaven... My welding skills are non-existant(i know the basics, but have never put metal to metal) but i have friend that is proficient at welding that will be guiding me/doing the bulk of the work. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this, and some suggested methods to use to make sure that i get it done right the first time.

thanks for your time,

Joe.

Guest Zachb55

Sounds like were in the same boat. I have a little bit of welding under my belt now, the only way to get good is try and screw up and do it over until you get it right, even then you start running into things like warpage and it just gets really aggrivating :x . Well im replacing the rear rocker panel section on mine, i just found a good chunk of rust so i started grinding and found more and more so i ordered the replacement panel from MSA for around $40 Shipped... Well i dont really have any advice for you seeing as i havent done mine yet, but ill get back to you on my progress if you'd like.

-Zach