HybridZ

drip rails (yes, i searched it already, but still....)

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

so i get the whole cutting off the rail 6 inches at a time, leaving 1/8-1/16th of metal left to weld back together.

BUT...my car is already painted (fly yellow!!) and i really don't want to have to repaint it. can i have a body guy do the welding and grinding and not have to repaint or touchup anything?

side question: once the rails are gone (if possible in my scenario) do you guys still think powder coating is best for the chrome/SS parts, or maybe just taping off and spraying multiple coats of black and then clear coating (eventually having to redo this every couple years...)??

There will be quite a bit of body and paint work necessary when you remove the drip rails. You would then have to deal with the issue of trying to match your paint. The paint looks great on your car and I wouldn't risk it.

You can spray the chrome and stainless trim but the powder coating will give a much better appearance and will certainly last longer. You might get a piece of trim from the junk yard to experiment with so you can see for yourself.