HybridZ

Mold on my interior, solutions?

Globerunner513

So I had my car sitting outside for a few months, and just got it into the garage the other day. It had a few leaks, so I was doing what I could to keep it dry in there, but looks like some mold formed steering wheel, center console, and just a little bit on the headrest of my seats (suede recaro lookalikes).

Any techniques for cleaning it? I know a little bit of bleach in water can kill the mold, but I'm afraid of discoloring the seats. Help!

Vinegar in a spray bottle always works pretty well against mold.

I'd recommend using some sort of desiccant or dehydrator bags overnight when you have it parked to prevent more moisture from doing that again.

Oh and be sure to leave car doors open until the vinegar is dry and keep them closed if you use a dehydrator.

Hey,

Mold needs moisture to proliferate. For long term storage in an unheated building, put a low wattage incandescent light (20W or less) in the vehicle turn it on and keep it on. Beats heating an entire garage to keep a car dry. It'll provide enough heat to keep the humidity at a reasonable level. Try to rig it so its suspended and not touching anything directly. Use a small piece of Aluminium foil over top like a shield to deflect direct heat. Rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol works to clean/remove and destroy it but it will also dry out vinyls and leather. Use some type of treatment to restore the textiles.

BTW: MacGyver approves. ;o)

RSC