HybridZ

Need advice for the universal dampener puller

dpuma8

I got a universal harmonic dampener puller from Autozone and the smallest bolts does not seem to be small to screw into the dampener. Can someone direct me to the correct kit or bolts?

Do I need to use that cylinder cap on the center bolt? How do I turn the bolt and keep the crank from spinning?

Can't say for sure since I don't know what you have without a picture, but I thought some of those damper pullers have a pointed end at the termination of their "bolt" and are designed to push against the crank pulley bolt itself. The crank pulley bolt being backed off the crank by a few threads. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, cause the last few times I removed a pulley they slid right off. Never needed a pulling tool.

To keep the crank from spinning its as easy as putting the car in gear, using something to jam the flywheel or flywheel flange.

Edited by Oddmanout84

Hey,

Take a 27mm impact to the bolt if you haven't moved it already. If the cyl head is still on you could use the old rope trick down the spark plug hole to keep the engine from turning over. Or put the flywheel bolts back in and use a bar to block the rotation of the crank then take off the bolt. Have someone hold the bar or jam it against the engine stand to keep the crank from rotating.

If the damper doesn't come off after removing a bolt use a couple of well placed whacks with a rubber mallet on the back of it. Should come right off. Use some penetrant if the damper is still a little cranky. (PUN intended)

You'd really have to do something wrong to break something up. Don't be afraid of it.

RSC