HybridZ

77 280Z help needed!

I know many are going to tell me to search. I have. For like 4-6 hours a day the last 3 days. I am considering trading my 5 speed 1990 Acura Integra for an Auto 77 280Z with 81xxx. I have also found both a 81 and 82 280zx for parts.

My question's are as follows:

1. Will the 82 trans from a L28E bolt right up to my 77 280Z L28E? i understand ill need the pedal assembly, clutch slave cylinder, and hydro lines but what else?

2. I ran across something on here saying that the 77 Zs were the R200. Is this true and if so why is the R200 so beneficial? In all honesty i have yet to search this specific question i'm still stuck on the trans issue.

3. Is it logical to use the 77 L28E and convert it to a L28ET or to just swap in a different motor? If conversion is logical what part will i need?

I'm not just looking for answers honestly links to any forum/topic relating to these questions would also be appriciated. Especially write ups! Also i'm currently part of the Honda community so i am more then understanding of any newb hazing which i haven't seen much of on here. Mostly seems like mature retro tuners on here.

Thank you.

Hey there Rejected....

Your answers:

1.: Yes... it's pretty much a straight swap, but you'll need the flywheel and clutch as well. If the engine in the 82' works well you can swap the whole engine over, Especially if you've got the F54/P90(a) engine head combo, they're much better for turbo application. The 82/83 5sp tranny's are better that the 79-81'. Thought for Turbo, you may need to go with Megasquirt, since moving the ZX harness over might be a pain.

2.: Yes they're R200. R200 is decently stout. really you won't need much more than that. The Diff forums are here: Drivelines

3.: It's cheaper to just swap in the ET engine than to turbo a L28, since the ET has stronger internals. This is indeed heavilly covered in stickies and such on this site.

You said thank you, so no hazing from me, but the search is your friend.

Phar

2.: Yes they're R200. R200 is decently stout. really you won't need much more than that. The Diff forums are here: Drivelines

77-78 280z autos came with the R180

Your would want the R200 out of the parts car while you have it. Or you could just send it to me. I'll pay shipping AND give you a case of beer :)

i don't own the parts cars i have merely found them. i was thinking of getting the parts from that guy but just recently (1 hour ago) found someone who has 280 bottom end with a 240 carb'd top end and a 5 speed trans. i believe the trans would be the OE option for my year but i'm not 100%. If so i will need:

trans

clutch master cylinder

lines

resivior

flywheel

clutch pedal assembly

i know with Honda's i'd also need the manual ECU. is that also true with FI Z's?

i don't own the parts cars i have merely found them. i was thinking of getting the parts from that guy but just recently (1 hour ago) found someone who has 280 bottom end with a 240 carb'd top end and a 5 speed trans. i believe the trans would be the OE option for my year but i'm not 100%. If so i will need:

trans

clutch master cylinder

lines

resivior

flywheel

clutch pedal assembly

i know with Honda's i'd also need the manual ECU. is that also true with FI Z's?

No, the ECU shouldn't matter at all whether auto or manual for FI Z's. The Fuel management system on L series Z engines is very simple and very basic.