HybridZ

3 weeks and Still No Turn Signals

Start it off, this is for a 1972 240z. So I have gone through the FSM on Xexons about 4 times now and it helped a ton on my wiring. I literally have everything besides my heater/fan working now thanks to that FSM.But these turn signals just don't like me. I have tried to see if someone could send me a picture of their column wiring but that failed. So, I am going to explain what I have come up with which could show the source of the problem.

First of all, the signals do work, as when I send power directly through the wire they turn on.

- The black ground that connects the headlight switch and turn signal switch is grounded good as headlights shut off when disconnected.

- I am getting power through the turn signal loom with what I remember to be a solid green wire.

- Just replaced all my fuses with brand new fuses

- I have another turn signal switch and it does not work either, the original one worked before so that should not be a problem.

Possible Problem area:

- There could be another source of power not going or sending power to the turn signal switch

- There is a green spade connecter coming from the turn signal switch, in the picture, going into a white spade connecter. This wire has no power going through it with key on or off or signals on or off.

If someone sees an issue within here any input would be greatly appreciated. Or if someone could send me a picture of their column that would also be greatly appreciated. Main reason I am stressing is I am doing the interior of my build for my Senior Project so yea... I am sure most of you understand haha :D

post-4199-007208200 1301702704_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240zBoy

Do your hazards work? Unfortunately, the 240z turn signals are a bit of a cluster. They send 4 wires out, one to each corner, unlike the later 280z's which realized that the front and rear of each side could operate off the same wire. :fmad:

Have you checked the flasher? You stated that if you apply power to a wire, which wire exactly? You must apply power to the green wire that feeds the flasher. It then leaves the flasher as a white wire and goes to the turn signal stalk.

Squeezed my head up under that dash and might have found something but could not feel any wires to go to this. It appears to be another flasher unit. I think when I kind of took my dash out to get the speedo cable on I might have tucked them back in there. That would explain why the turn signals do not blink when I apply power :blink:

Anyone think this is my problem? And yes the hazards do work

post-4199-099234000 1301705164_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240zBoy

Is it front and rear? or just rear? I had a problem with my rear turn signals that drove me up the wall. Kept the car off the road for the better part of a year. Turned out to be the switch, but you seem to have eliminated that as a possibility.

As I recall, and this is strictly off memory, the main wire that powers the turn signals is a solid green wire, but I don't think it's the one you're showing. There should be a six pin connector that contains it as well as the wires that then go to the turn signals. Anyway, pull the switch off the column (although you will have to provide a ground to test it) and see if you have 12v going to the green wire in the center of the switch. If you do, then the problem is almost certainly internal to the switch, likely the brake interrupt contacts. If you don't, trace backwards from that wire.

Yes the green wire in the 6 pin connector is the hot one I was talking about. I just tried hooking my green and white wires up to that flasher or whatever it is and nothing happened. Anybody no what I am messing up on or what that solenoid does. I have green and white wires hooked up to a different flasher that was down here right now.

Edit: Fixed It. That green spade going into white needed power

Edited by 240zBoy

Just confirming, the problem is fixed?

Yup it was that green wire going into the white wire outside of the 6 pin. It went into a flasher unit but no power was going to the flasher unit so I just tapped into a different 12v source.Original source went into the hazard switch but I was not going to rip out the dash again. I can finally move on with my project. Going into superspeed right now. Got to get this thing done by the middle of June.

Last night I went crazy with the ammeter and after a couple hours and about to quit I noticed an issue with front turn signals. When I unhooked them my running lights and turn signal problems went away. Well after some tracing the P.O spliced into a different wire which I had hanging loose for a ground. Grounded it and walla!!!.