HybridZ

Buying a 260z Need your help

Hello I found this 1974 260z that is for sale and this is the fallowing description

car has slant 6 crate engine with aftermarket 5 speed transmission,dual barrel carbs. i bought this car from a disabled guy 3 years ago. he restored it with his son. body is in great condition aside from the hit n run ding that it has on the drivers back-wheel side. paint is kinda peeling from roof top. left,right blinkers and wipers arent functional.they stopped working after i left the lights on one day and it drained the battery(im guessing it s an easy fix)

I have not alot of knowledge with car but I would like to know how hard it would be to fix it, I might get help from a friend that is a mechanic but i would like to know what kind of problems that will be before I buy it. Second what's with the dual barrel carbs can someone explain?

This is will not be my main car I just want a Z where I can learn and work on it at the same time Let me know what you think thank you very much

Slant 6 - BMW or Dodge? That'd be an interesting swap...

Sounds like the individual has a loose grasp of Z car specifics. Check it out, and take a picture of the engine. Physically looking at it will tell you more than a brief description will.

The "dual barrel" carbs are Webber DGV barrel carbs. Not the original carbs but good. This is a common conversion from the original SU carbs.

The problem with the lights and wipers is probably the switches. Certianly there arr other possible causes, such as fuses, bad connections, etc. It is not likely related to simply running the battery down by leaving the lights on too long unless the battery was never recharged. If this is the case the car will not start and run.

The "aftermarket" 5-speed is most likely from a 280Z. This is a common swap.

Overall the car looks pretty good cosmetically. Have a mechanic you choose inspect the car to check for "hidden" problems and things you might not think to check. Make sure the title is clean and the registratio is up to date. California is getting way too greedy with late fees these days.

The engine is the correct Datsun engine. The only thing that could be different is the displacement. The 2.4L, 2.6L, and 2.8L engines are interchangeable. The photos on E-bay do not tell us which engine it is. It does not really matter too much unless you want a "perfect" car for concours and the like.

I I reviewed the auction... He's got a buy it now of $3000, I really don't see it being worth quite that much, though the interior does look like it's in really good shape. I can't tell if the Dash is restored (big +) or just a dash cap(big -) the engine looks original, cept for the carbs. but he said it's a crate, which is likely not accurate, it's much more likely a swap from a 77-83 with the EFI removed.

Where it was hit, isn't the easiest area to repair, but it might be able to be pulled out with vacuum or more likely a body puller. the holes et all would then need to be filled. I'm not sure if that's rust under the paint in that area. Could be pain. Blue is not the original color (Silver per the eng compartment) Is that rust at the top of the rear hatch? If so I'd really be looking closer, since that area usually rusts after things like floorpans, hatch base, spare tirewell, rear wheel arches, front frame reenforcement. unibody frame...

Aside from that, I'll reiterate the interior does look really good (but look under the carpet, and especially look under those seat covers. You are in Cali, and tho $3K may not be much to you, I believe it may be a little much for this car, if not close, but on the East coast w/ that dent fixed, it could easily be a $5K car. But I'm used to Southwest prices. I paid 300 (Rust free 280Z), and 700 (70' Series I) for my last 2 S30's, in non running condition. But their interiors aren't as nice. In the end it's your Money, but don't just limit yourself to Calif or LA cars. A car hauler will charge 500-600 or so to haul a car from NY to LA. Cheaper if you can deal directly with the trucker. (call truck stops)

Phar