HybridZ

Just a little off- center

I just installed the SBC with the JTR mounts in my 73. I am also using an empty casing of a 700 R4. Weird thing though...it seems the motor is slightly off center to the passenger side....rotated anti-clockwise by about 5 to 10 degrees (as viewed from the front of the car). Has anyone else experienced this? icon_confused.gif It seems that slotting the mounting holes in the cross member up and down (instead of back and forward as per JTR manual) may work. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I heard they do that to compensate for the weight taken away from the Nissan motor on the passenger side. If you look at it, the original motor IS kinda leaning toward the passenger side. Not sure if thats why the JTR mounts do that, but it sure makes sence, does it not? icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yup, perfectly normal. Look at the spacers on setback plates connected to the engine, thats what gives it the offset. It does lean to one side. I think a good part of the reason though is steering shaft clearance. I run heddman headers and the header clears by maybe an 1/8", without offset the header would be solidly into the steering shaft.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Locutus

I believe that is also because the rear end is not centered in the car, since the nissan engine is offset to one side by about an inch so is the rearend.

Mike

Just to clarify a bit...I understand that, according to the write up in the JTR manual, the engine is offset to the passenger side of the engine bay to mimick the inline 6, what I'm concerned about, however, is that the engine is actually rotated, in other words, if I put a level on the inlet manifold carb flange, it would not read level, rather the carb would be leaning over towards the passenger side of the car. I always believed that the carb should always be as close to level as possible, regardless of the attitude of the car (ie rake or suspension lean)?

Tim

The old JTR manual talks about the engine being offset to the passanger side for steering shaft clearance. Actually this is not unique as quite a few production cars do this as well.

The engine should not be rotated though. It should be level in the car. Do you have slots or holes in the old Z car mounting points? Sounds to me like something isn't right with the mounts and/or monuting points.

Guest Anonymous

The engine tilt is not as severe as it seems and won't cause a float problem, or at least I've never heard of that in all the conversions I've seen and read here. Yes, in a ideal situation it would be nice to have the engine flat and level with a slight tilt backwards only, but tilting them isn't uncommon in engine swaps.

Good luck with it,

Lone

Well, I found the problem....

The Manual has a misprint which has the driver's side setback plate labeled as the passenger side. I pulled the engine and swapped the setback plates and it is now purrrrfect. The difference was amazing...about 5 inches icon_eek.gif of rotation.

Tim