HybridZ

Welp, got a new car. Again.

OustedFairlady

MyRX7.jpg

1987 RX7 TurboII. 107K on the odo, one owner. Bought it for 100 bucks. Oddly, it seems to be missing all the pistons and rods... :P

It has a strange engine performance issue, and sadly enough, the RX7 forums are oddly reticent to give any decent help. It has had this flooding issue recently, and the secondary injectors aren't opening up properly. This is usually a sign of a bad ECM ground, according to my research, and I'm fixing that tomorrow. I'm hoping that cleaning all of the car's grounds will help fix some of the issues. It sat for around 6 years, but indoors inside a garage. Prior to that, a 65 year old lady owned it, and she was fairly meticulous about maintaining it. I have all of the receipts for all of the maintenance done to it.

Anyway, there it is. I'll take better pictures in the morning. Just thought I'd share my latest acquisition.

Yep, a hundred bucks. It's in pretty good shape. Absolutely no rust anywhere on the car. It was garage kept, according to the P.O. She was 65 years old and bought it new in '86 because she thought it was "cute". Five speed, obviously babied. I'm slowly narrowing down my problems. Found a badly out of adjustment TPS just a few minutes ago.

Yep, a hundred bucks. It's in pretty good shape. Absolutely no rust anywhere on the car. It was garage kept, according to the P.O. She was 65 years old and bought it new in '86 because she thought it was "cute". Five speed, obviously babied. I'm slowly narrowing down my problems. Found a badly out of adjustment TPS just a few minutes ago.

You could make a heck of a profit if you fixed it up a bit turned it around and sold it, depending on the market there but that is a awesome deal. Aren't you planning to keep it around anyways?

I'm jealous - I came close to buying one a few years ago for like $1800, which I thought was a good deal at the time. How did you find that one?

A guy I know here spotted it one day north of where I live. I got it from an old lady. She bought the car new in '86. Five speed TurboII. She put 107K miles on it, and said that her arthritis started to bother her, so she stopped driving it. It was last registered in 2004, and was kept in a garage from that point on. She had apparently brought it out for some cleaning or some such, and found that it wouldn't start again. She sold it to me for 100 bucks, stipulating that I should take care of it. Heh. Insta-sold. So here it is. I'm narrowing down the problems that the car has. I'm suspecting the injectors are clogged, so I'm gonna send those off for cleaning in a week or so.

You could make a heck of a profit if you fixed it up a bit turned it around and sold it, depending on the market there but that is a awesome deal. Aren't you planning to keep it around anyways?

I could, but I find that the more I tinker with it, the more I like it. And then there's this:

Naturally, I am required by the laws of nature to keep it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be a prat, but the 5.3 isn't actually an LS1...:P

I've strongly considered the V8 route, but the thing about it for me is that the car's a rotary. They're hard enough to find, and even harder to find in good condition like mine. I'd like to just run the rotary till it gives up, and THEN maybe put a 1UZ in it or something like that.

As it is, the injectors are giving me fits. I'm pretty sure the secondaries are stuck open.

I gotta say, though. That engine fits like a glove!

Edited by OustedFairlady