HybridZ

So I am looking at this 400 SBC...

Well I am still looking for options as to testing the block before I go back out friday. I am going to have my dad bring him compression checker so we can test it, and i'll double check all earlier signs I checked. Thanks forr the help thus far and still looking forward to other's opinions. Maybe someone has some suggestions as to a real simple cheap way to get some more horses out of the engine without having to do much, just to get by this next year before I do some real work.

Well I am still looking for options as to testing the block before I go back out friday. I am going to have my dad bring him compression checker so we can test it, and i'll double check all earlier signs I checked. Thanks forr the help thus far and still looking forward to other's opinions. Maybe someone has some suggestions as to a real simple cheap way to get some more horses out of the engine without having to do much, just to get by this next year before I do some real work.

Get newer design cylinder heads and performance camshaft. More horsepower equals more money!!! Face this reality.

Yea I knew it would. I'm looking about a $2000 set up for a top end, and probably another 1000 when I upgrade the rods and pistons. and then more if I decide to bore... I was just hoping there was something I could do now before I rebuild the engine next year for like $400 just to give it a little more spirit

Yea I knew it would. I'm looking about a $2000 set up for a top end, and probably another 1000 when I upgrade the rods and pistons. and then more if I decide to bore... I was just hoping there was something I could do now before I rebuild the engine next year for like $400 just to give it a little more spirit

Just make sure that you start with a good foundation aka a good block. The good choices are a late manufactured single piece 350 block as it likely was CNC machined and is precise. The best choice is an aftermarket block and this costs $1500.00 and is the best foundation to start from. Scat cast 3.75 stroker crank is $200. Scat I beam rods are $300. SRP lightweight pistons with Metric rings are $600 and the best choice. As for cylinder heads the AFR heads cannot be beat but the price must be paid. Internally balance the rotating assembly and use neutral balance fluid damper and neutral balance flywheel.

Summit Racing has a 383 Small Block Chev for $651. If all the machining is done, this is a good deal. At most further machining for near zero deck and fit the pistons. Knowing Summit Racing the block is sound.

• 3 weeks later...

The REALLY good factory small block are VERY RARE! The good ones have been sonic tested for cylinder wall thickness. The better choice is the Summit Racing block or Dart SHP blocks. When assembling with selected parts for the bottom end the level of quality will be KNOWN not in question. Per the linked article the AFR cylinder heads are ahead of their competitors for Gen I and II SBCs.

One thing I like about the AFR cylinder heads is that they're CARB approved.

They also come nicely finished. So, if you do, by chance get pulled over the cops will say, "Whoa, now that's sweet." and then they'll see the E.O. # etched into the side of the head and then instead of getting a ref ticket, you'll get to shoot the breeze for a minute and be on your way.

The extra grand is peace of mind, IMHO. That is really only applicable to California, at this point, though.

Edited by kamikaZeS30

Or, the other option is to convince the owner to test it with the new oil and filter as mentioned, BUT tell him that you will pay for the oil & filter. He should totally agree to doing it that way and if the engine is worthless, at least you'll only be out of oil change money vs. $250. Sensible.

Davy

• 3 weeks later...

If the block is not cracked or needed bored it is worth the 250. My suggestion for an economic build would be to buy a alum performer intake, buy a mild cam and lifters, gasket kit, and find a pair of 305 heads 65cc from an old malibu/camaro tor bring up the compression to 9.8 to 10.1 give or take. what you have is 300 dollars plus the 250 for a total of 550 dollars for a decent mid 300 hp motor that can run on pump gas. SBC parts are dime a dozen and can be bought cheaply on craigslist. But thats my own opinion. good luck on your build. B)