HybridZ

S30 Rear Disk Conversion using 82-83 Calipers Possible?

I replaced my 83 280zx 2+2 with a 77 280Z after the 83 was overcome by rusted and relegated to parts car status. One of the first additions to the 77 will be a rear disk conversion (mainly for ease of maintenance and the fact that the shoes are shot.

Although the bulk of disk conversions seem to use early S130, maxima or 240SX calipers, I've heard mention of using the later S130's now and then, but no mention of what other parts were used. Is it possible to reincarnate the brakes from my beloved deceased 83 or shall I put them up for sale?

As some background, I'm currently running the Wilwood 1" mc on the stock brakes with future plans of doing the SW12 front conversion (rear's will be done first though). If the 83 calipers are no good I may look at the Silvermine Mustang conversion, though I'm think a prop valve will be a requirement.

Thanks!

FWIW I would think it out good before starting any "upgrade". First changing the back without doing anything with the front can really effect balance.

One thing you should always keep in the back of your mind when doing this is: This system you are changing has had a whole R&D team working on the design and endless testing.

You are making, more or less, a prototype and testing it on a quiet back street to get the balance "right". We just dont have the huge resources to do it much better than that.

Has anyone done the complete 280ZX swap? The 280ZX brakes are made for a heavier car and are better balanced front to rear.

FWIW I would think it out good before starting any "upgrade". First changing the back without doing anything with the front can really effect balance.

One thing you should always keep in the back of your mind when doing this is: This system you are changing has had a whole R&D team working on the design and endless testing.

You are making, more or less, a prototype and testing it on a quiet back street to get the balance "right". We just dont have the huge resources to do it much better than that.

Has anyone done the complete 280ZX swap? The 280ZX brakes are made for a heavier car and are better balanced front to rear.

While I understand where you're coming from, the S13/Maxima/Early S130 conversion has been done countless times with good results, so as far as bias goes, the 83 calipers can't be far off the 79-81. I realize any of those rear disk options (and stock drums too I'd imagine) have a hard time keeping up with big front brakes bias-wise, but I'm looking to run the stock 2 pistons fronts. I have the 83 ZX front calipers on hand, but I can't see them being much benefit for a season of autocross.