HybridZ

RB25DE (NA) cams suggestion

docaam

Hey guys, I am planning to drop in RB25DE preferably non NEO along with RB30 block in my Z.

Car will have 45mm ITBs and custom headers.

For the block at this moment I am planning to run RB25DE pistons in the RB30 block to get enough NA compression and only thing installing in the block are, Rosstufbond harmonic balancer, light weight alternator and power steering pulley, Nitto crank collar and JUN oil pump.

Want to do some head work to get better flow and looking for cams.

Tomei cams (these are Poncams) which are available at the moment are:

256* 8.5mm lift along with Tomei cam gears

270* and 8.5mm lift along with Tomei cam gears

There are 260* as well but out of stock right now.

So can anyone suggest which cams would be better to have a good power gain along with some sweet sound :),

I was thinking for 256 might be more like stock? and 270* might be too much but more inclined towards 270* and will try to overlap those if possible but have no experience so far with RB head works.

And would I look into getting some solid lifter and springs though Tomei does not suggest to change with these cams

Longest Pon cam Tomei advertises is a 260 for NEO and HLA. They don't go up to 270 until you go to solid.

Also, you can't (or shouldn't) run a cam for HLA, and then switch to solid lifters later. You need to do everything up front, whatever you're going to do.

Best bet for max power is the 270 Pro Cam with 10.25 lift. LCA around 105 degrees. This will require the lifters, springs, light weight retainers, etc.

Cheapest bet, but still good, would be the Pon 260's. No additional mods needed, but you could use a set of springs if you wanted.

Ports wouldn't need more than a general clean up to clear the sharp edges in the bowl. Don't touch the chamber.

Cheers.