HybridZ

Another Hazard switch problem

I have been reading through the site and stumbled upon a couple of different posts with fixes to the hazard switch that ruins the rest of the electrical system. Just some background, I have a 73 z and recently the hazard push pull switch on the dash was pulled out and something behind the dash broke. As a result all of my lights stopped working. I know that as soon as the hazard switch died the turn signals stopped as well. 

I have read through these two posts 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/57428-hazard-switchturn-signal-system/

https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2013/01/20/hazard-switch-brake-light-turn-signal-circuit-analysis/

I was considering using the fix of wiring in a new switch and relay from mcmaster carr. but I am having trouble locating a "switch" for my hazards. The pictures are what the hazard push pull switch was wired to. Not really sure what this thing is? It is attached to the cig lighter as well. Just need help figuring out how to fix this thing.

post-13259-0-39622900-1421519444_thumb.jpg

post-13259-0-99112100-1421519479_thumb.jpg

post-13259-0-95199800-1421519523_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bluezzs

If you look at the second picture with the three holes the wire with the clip on the right side is attached to the cig lighter thing. The hole on the left is where the hazard push pull switch was attached but was ripped out. I pulled on it just a little too hard...

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I think the best, fastest, and ultimately the cheapest solution to your problem is to go on eBay or Craigslist and buy one from someone with a parts car. As you've said, the hazard switch is far more than a simple switch, and substituting anything else might be more of a challenge than it's worth. Maybe another Datsun product would interchange? 210? 510? Truck?

As someone wiser than I once said, "I don't have a solution for you, but I admire your problem!"

Looked on the old ebay and actually found a replacement hazard switch for the 73 240z. I ordered that and it should be here by friday, hopefully it will work. I took this thing apart today and there is actually a light bulb in there. Thanks everyone!