HybridZ

Lets talk double adjustables, with pictures maybe?

I don't think $2500 a shock is all that expensive for a custom made piece of high-end race equipment. You have a record breaking car so I'm not sure why you think any one part of it would be inexpensive. The only "lower" cost DA insert I know of is either Koni or the Ground Control AD shocks, which I don't think they make anymore. There may be some options if you're willing to get creative and fab up some parts. Perhaps one of the Koni drag struts for a different model (Mustang/Camaro) but it sound like Koni isn't really up to snuff for this? Perhaps you could run a coilover shock outside of the strut housing. Years ago this was done in IMSA and other orgs as long as the rules allow it. It opens all manner of possibilities. You could even use the varishocks you have on the rear of the car at the front.

You did start out by telling us that you were interested in Penske shocks or something similar and that you're a serious racer. So it sounded like you already knew this wasn't going to be a cheap request. It's not hard at all to get ballpark costs from the internet. So I'm not really sure where all the price sensitivity came from. It's called racing and the joke's always been you make a small fortune from a big one doing it.

What it sounds like is you're trying to convince us Stance are the best DA shock for you and get us all to agree (fat chance). There are as many opinions on this forum as there are members. You did the research and have talked to them. If that's what you want then go with them. It's that easy if you have all the data points you need. It's your car, your money. You don't need to convince us. Get some great results and help stance in the drag market. I'm sure it would help a lot of people to see that they have a quality product you set records with.

I originally mentioned penskes because I thought the shock might be a reasonable price. 6k for just front shocks on a drag car is absurd, end of story. I hang out with some of the fastest drag racers on the west coast (record holders in multiple classes) and none have spent anywhere near that for excellent suspension. If I was road racing, I would think about biting the bullet, but I just don't see value in spending 4k the price for an upgrade that all people can do to justify is down talk the alternative after openly stating that they have zero actual experience with that product.

I asked here since I was hoping for some unbiased opinions, which I got a few of. I got a lot more biased opinions which is fine too, but I'm inclined to call them on the bias since it seems nobody else will. Just amazed how close minded a website about swapping different engines into a chassis can be. You would think this community would be open to trying new things instead of just doing the same exact thing because "its the best" without looking at the alternatives with less of a negative eye. It's quite ironic if you think about it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know how to access the adjuster knobs on the stance shocks? Difficult (not super difficult) access to the lower adjuster is what kept me from going double-adjuster on konis (I went single adjustable, and I'm happy with them). Where are the adjuster knobs/screws on the stance units?

They are normally very difficult since they mount on the bottom of the shock. But when I talked to Stance about that, they said they will make them with a remote adjustment so you can do rebound adjustments without taking apart anything. I guess some other models use that, and they can adapt it without issue.