HybridZ

New engine management!

ihiryu

So ecumasters (website is http://ecumasterusa.com/), has their EMU out for the RB motors, along with their piggyback, the DET3.

The EMU has built in wideband control, will do flexfuel, and also has a bluetooth for a tablet.  Price is a lot cheaper than AEM EMS.

Currently, I have a R32 GTST, with a RB20, and I am currently running their piggyback.  The piggyback is so awesome.  It supports MAP switching, Boost Control (with a solenoid), launch control, and an extra output for random things (shift light, nitrous, or water meth).  It also had an onboard map sensor, they come in 2.5 and 4 bar.  The best thing about it, is that you can delete the MAF!

Once you get your car tuned using the MAF, all you have to do, is literally, click a button in the software, and it'll convert your MAF signal and use the onboard MAP sensor.  You have to clean up the tune a little, but form what I've read, it's not too hard.  

I just installed mine last night, and got to play around a bit with it, but it works pretty well.  Obviously the piggyback isn't as great as a standalone, but it is easy to work with.  The best part about the piggyback is MAF delete.  

The biggest down fall is that you get a connector, and a bunch of pins.  Probably the hardest part of the install.  A friend of mine (who is an electrician by trade) crimped all the pins for me, and made me a nice little harness.  If there's enough interest, I can make him a few.

Speaking of install, there's only a handful of wires you need for install!

Power, Ground, three for the CAS, and two for the MAF.  The install is virtually the same as a SAFC, so super easy.  I got to play with launch control a little, and I did pull a little fuel (just to make sure it worked), and I also pulled timing, then added some, and I could hear the idle move up and down.  Pretty good unit, at a fraction of the cost.

So $450 for the unit, $200, for a wideband, $40 for a MAC valve, and you'll have a MAF delete, boost controller, and launch controller.  Not to mention a controller for your nitrous or water meth setup.  

For me, I'm putting my map switcher as a hidden switch for valet mode.  I plan to just pull all the fuel out at 2500 RPM's lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.  Standalone is always better.  My miata runs a megasquirt, and the learning curve is a bit high (but I also do a lot of tuning for the shop).  You don't have to fight the stock ECU on making changes.  

This is more for minor mods.  However, there is what's called "Fuel Implant Mode", and what that does, is that it ends up working more as a standalone.  The DET3 unit actually has complete control over the injectors, there isn't any sensor spoofing or anything like that.

Piggy back mode (which I'm currently using on the R32) is a lot easier, there isn't any cold start/hot start, fuel decel/accel tuning.  Just tune the fuel map, and the ignition map and you're good to go.

Copied and pasted from our Facebook page :

The car actually runs great on the stock ECU, it responds very well with the bolt on's and AFR's are actually pretty rock solid, there's actually not much I can do to make more power, which is very surprising. I'm running more boost than the car was designed to run. Unfortunately, I can't advance timing, so power under the curve is stuck right where it's at.

As of right now, we're on stock injectors, ecu and maf, we've done all bolt on's (O2 housing back, including cat delete, front facing intake manifold, and upgraded front mount), turned up the boost from 8 psi, to 12-14 psi. The internal wastegate is sticking, so boost is a little off.

So anyway, I started diving into what I really wanted to try, and that is MAF delete.

The DET3 does allow MAF delete, and reads load based on the onboard MAP sensor. It also allows us to retard timing (other applications allow advancing timing as well, but unfortunately doesn't apply to us). Once you get your fuel map dialed in, you will begin to log your driving (so you do a little of in town cruising, wide open pulls, highway etc) and literally, right click and "Convert from MAF to MAP).

It will automatically give you a new fuel map, and of course it's a bit rough. One picture is what the DET3 gives you, and the other one, is after I've smooth it out. I've saved both tunes (the one BEFORE the MAP conversion, and the one AFTER ). I still plan to dyno the cars, before and after the MAF delete, that way we can find out how restrictive the stock MAF actually is. I don't think there's much of a change, because the Nissan MAF is actually well designed, but hopefully this will take care of some of the stumbling of a dying MAF sensor!

post-31175-0-48227000-1444076512_thumb.png

post-31175-0-19629200-1444076525_thumb.png

It allows frequency modifications.

So you could possibly take one knock sensor, send it into FREQ_In, and take the two knock sensor wires, and Y them into the FREQ_OUT and use the software to modify the signal so where it never sees knock.