HybridZ

Is this harness bar too low?

Fair enough. I can do this, however the cage woudl no longer follow NHRA rules.

All roll bars must have in their construction a cross bar for seat bracing and as the shoulder harness attachment point; cross bar must be installed no more than 4 inches below, and not above, the driver’s shoulders or to side bar.

Any suggestions? Is creating a new harness bar that sweeps back more to reduce the harness angle more viable? The NHRA rollbar rules make no sense to me. Why are they saying the harness bar cannot be above the drivers shoulder? This is half cage I built mainly to increase chassis rigidity but I would like to keep it NHRA legals as I occasionnaly sprint down the 1/4 mile and the car is a sub 12 second car.

Edited by 240zdan

You shot a pic of the passenger side. The passenger side doesn't have to pass tech. Send a pic of the drivers side. Why don't you just go to the track and see if it passes tech? To adjust that bar, you will need to remove the interior so you don't set the car on fire. Might not be worth it if the car will pass tech as it sits. NHRA tech is not as tough as SCCA tech. SCCA seems to be the most draconian-maybe even a bit psycho. NHRA is pretty lenient. Plus your car isn't that fast, so they will be more lenient for that too.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Google the AutoPower adjustable seat back brace. I think you may be trying to combine the seat back brace AND the seatbelt attachment. Would considering them separately make things easier? Look for a thread deep in the Interior forum under my avatar called something like "Installing Kirkey aluminum seats." I've passed tech twice at ECTA, which uses the NHRA rule book in teching toolbars and cages. Only group more tech psycho than SCCA is the landspeed crowd at ECTA and SCTA. These people really just want you to survive an accident and walk away.

Edited by RebekahsZ