HybridZ

VLSD flange pics for refernce

RB26powered74zcar

I just received my VLSD out of the 88 zxt and I haven't seen these diff side flanges for refernce. I'm having James 240tt set me up with the mod needed to make the halfshafts work in our first gen Zs.

The second pic is the reg turbo diff side flanges next to the Visscious diff side parts on the right.

I will also load the pics in the album section for future ref.

joel

fc795d76.jpg

fc795d57.jpg

Joel,

I've seen James 240TT page that describes the conversion you speak of, I'm a bit confused :confused2:. As far as I can understand you use the 300ZXT double offset-Birfield joint assembly on the differential side. Then you use the inner race that has splines for the drive shaft from a 1984-86 Eagle 6 cylinder, and using the remainder from the 300ZXT differential joint, assemble as normal. Now the dirve shaft is the 280ZXT shaft and at the other end use the 1984-89 Eagle 6 cylinder spider assembly in the 280ZXT slide joint housing. Do I have this correct?

Mike

Now that I've thought about it a little :oops: I kinda remenber James telling me that the inboard stubs from the Visc will be used with the outer portion of the 81-83 turbo halfshafts.

I think their now is a updated way to make these work on our cars than the way James discribed in his website, if I understand what he discribed to me the other day.

I think he will chime in here sooner or later..... :D

Thinking about what I have written,

"Now the dirve shaft is the 280ZXT shaft and at the other end use the 1984-89 Eagle 6 cylinder spider assembly in the 280ZXT slide joint housing".

I would assume I am wrong, and that you need the 1984-89 Eagle shaft not the 280ZXT else why would you be concerned with the other side of the CV. Looks like more parts hunting for me.

Mike

Just FWIW, I have a CV adaptor for this install (well quite likely) as well :-D

Allows you to keep your CV shafts intact as OEM units should you ever have to replace them and simplifies extra work required IMHO.

If your shafts measured: Right and then Left, Extended, 17-5/8, 17-1/8, compressed, 16-3/4, 16-1/2, stubs are 3-7/8's and 3-1/2" long, all measurements right then left side....

then my adaptors will work fine for this install, they are tig welded to your companion flanges/recessed into the CNC pockets and thus also eliminate that small 4 bolt pattern the UJ shafts bolt to the companion flanges with.

At least one Z owner on this board has already installed them with Z31 CV's (4 bolt outer flange......not 6 bolt style).

Just an option. The new 4bolt flange is a much stronger bolt pattern.

Ross,

Maybe I'm dumb as a post but I am confused. What is the part you are addressing? Does it mount the old U-joint halfshafts to the differential??? That was an other option I was considering...although not the end result I was looking for or wanting. Easy enough to have a plate made that would adapt the old fourbolt halfshaft with u-joints to the five bolt differential stub like that used on the 240SX. Haven't looked into it too much for dimentions I really would like to use the CV shaft rather than a U-joint.

Mike

Ross' date='

Maybe I'm dumb as a post but I am confused. What is the part you are addressing? [/quote']

Mike ,have a look at the CV adaptors on my website http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5&PHPSESSID=f9bb03d9e4898d4f4c9b77add18ed06f

they consist of a CNC machined flange that is precision tig welded to your companion flanges, eliminating the 4 companion flange bolts as the new CV shaft now bolts to my adaptors which perfectly locate/center the CV outboard flange. The Z31 adaptors are thinner as the Z31 shafts are longer....you keep your OEM Z31 CV shafts, just send me companion flanges which the machinist mates to the adaptors and that keeps it all bolt in for you. You won't break my piece/integrated adaptor (stronger than the pieces that Scottie put his GNZ power thru) so leaves OEM pieces for any other carnage :D

Seen them bad boys, I was hoping you had a toy up your sleeve you hadn't unvailed yet. The issue with useing those units is that the differential/CV combo uses a differenet spline pattern on the clip and one is longer by a lot. The companion side is a four bolt pattern that surounds a circle. I was looking into using the Z32 differential stub axles and my old U-joint half shafts with an adapter plate on the differential side. If I could post pics (don't know how) I would put one up that looked real nice. Thanks for the info and help in this matter. I guess I will attempt to contact James and see if he is willing to share his findings as Joel stated.

Mike

Seen them bad boys, I was hoping you had a toy up your sleeve you hadn't unvailed yet. The issue with useing those units is that the differential/CV combo uses a differenet spline pattern on the clip and one is longer by a lot. The companion side is a four bolt pattern that surounds a circle.

Why is that an issue? Just use the appropriate matching OEM CV's with the appropriate z31 differential and centre pumpkin/arrangment is fine........from all info customers have sent in to date the outboard end is the same as are lengths (Z31 viscous CV vs. teh other Z31 CV's with 4bolt outboard flange as you describe), my adaptors only adapt the outboard flange to your companion flange.

If I missed your point let me know.....

Length is good but the bolt pattern is different on the other R-200 CV's verses the VLSD version. Does your bolt-on bad boy adapt a four bolt pattern if so than no issues. All other Nissan CV's of this vintage I've seen use a six bolt pattern, grouped in three sets of two. Again, thanks for responding Ross. Mike

Length is good but the bolt pattern is different on the other R-200 CV's verses the VLSD version. Does your bolt-on bad boy adapt a four bolt pattern if so than no issues. All other Nissan CV's of this vintage I've seen use a six bolt pattern, grouped in three sets of two. Again, thanks for responding Ross. Mike

They are 4 bolt as noted in prior post above

"At least one Z owner on this board has already installed them with Z31 CV's (4 bolt outer flange......not 6 bolt style). "

I"ve seen the 6 bolt Z31 CV's as well, actually have a bunch on hand but haven't yet had time to see of what use they may be. The 4 bolt CV's with larger bolts and notably greater bolt pattern diameter really impressed me.

I understand where we are loosing communication. I am describing the CV bolt pattern as 4-bolt and you are addressing the companion flange as 4-bolt pattern. The adapter your selling pictured on your website shows a six bolt pattern CV. The VLSD companion flange uses a reverse of what is pictured where the circle is on the inside not the outside so custom machining "could" be the solution. It would need to look something resembleing the stock companion flange. You state that others have used this unit on VLSD and had no issues? Ok this is them here. Mikealbum_pic.php?pic_id=406

I'm assuming that this pic is just a red circle and an X in it, I have this image linked from my album. You should be able to view it their, I hope. Mike

Maybe I can clarify since I figured out this swap. Here we go. Input shafts as pictured for the VLSD MUST be used as they are specific to that diff. The cage for the input shaft must also be used. The shaft is the front shaft from an AMC eagle 6cyl and it is about 13-13.5in long. You will use the race from the AMC shaft on the diff side and it works with the cage of the VLSD. The outer side of the shaft is all 280zxt stuff. You will use the 240Z stub axle with the 280zxt companion flange. The drivers side fits perfect and you DO NOT have to drop the a-arm to get it on, just compress the shaft and you are set to put it on. The passenger side requires a .5" spacer. I will post all the part #'s tomorrow and all the specific info on the shafts. My guy will build them if you send the input shafts and 280zxt outers for $200. Shafts/Boots/Seals/Outer caps/SS wide bands are all new parts. Ask ZGad as I had a set built for him and he dropped 2/10ths off his 60ft time with diff swap alone.

Mike, above I did say larger bolt pattern and larger bolts on the 4 bolt Z31 CV outer flange which was correct and what I meant. In a separate statement I pointed out that my 280ZXT CV adaptors eliminate the smaller 4bolt pattern that the companion flanges utilize, this is what the picture/280ZXT reference was for. The Z31 adaptors use the same design principles as the 280ZXT for companion flange shear key/pocket location with hubcentric tig mating. The Z31 adaptors are NOT yet on the site but have been used successfully to date.

clear as mud :wink:, any more q's feel free :)

Here is the specific information to do the VLSD swap

***Input shaft(diff)- must use from VLSD

***Cage(diff side)- #175 cage(from VLSD)

***Race(diff side)- #174 race (from 80-87 AMC Eagle 4WD 4cyl)

***Shaft- OEM Replacement Axle # 87-7699-0 (from 80-87 AMC Eagle 4WD 4cyl) (from 80-83 AMC Eagle 4WD 6cyl)

***Complete Tripod(wheel side)- # 87-7801-0 (from 80-87 AMC Eagle 4WD 4cyl)

***Tripod Housing(wheel side)- 280zxt

So, using the AMC shaft the #174 race is placed on the shaft for the diff side and is compatible with the #175 cage. The complete tripod from the 80-87 AMC Eagle 4WD 4cyl fits onto the shaft and is also compatible with the 280zxt tripod housing. Whala....you have the shaft that works. The shaft is 13" long. As I said before you will want to use the 240z stub axle with the 280zxt companion flange and the passenger side will require a .5" spacer. Good Luck.

240Z Turbo, what power level's have been put thru those 240Z stub axles? Of all the CV setups I've put out only two were with 240Z stubs, all others went with the beefier 280Z units. I just measured them the other day for comparision and it is a notable difference.

I'm actually trying to see what a stronger alternative is to the 280ZX stubs as they're similar to the 240Z units (a step smaller than 280Z pieces).

Good info on the aspects of your adaptation method.

240Z Turbo,

Thanks for the response with descriptions and part numbers. This make the process of understanding much easier, and easier in trying to find parts and assemble. Your aces in my book. :D 11.2 @130 ehh, buddies BBC in a Chevelle had trouble mustering 13 flat @110 in the quater, your stuff must be dialed in. Mike