HybridZ

Injector upgrade for turbo 280Z

Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my injectors. I have a 1976 280Z with a nicely rebuilt 81 280ZX Turbo engine, stock injectors, rebuilt stock t-3 turbo, halmeter AF-30, and Rising rate FPR. Mike form Ohio is just finishing converting my 81 wiring harness to accomidate a 1987 Z31 Turbo EFI System. I'd liek to be able to use a hihger CC injector for more fuel adn run 12-15lbs of boost. I've added a high psi Bosch fuel pump. I've heard you can use Merkure or mustang injectors. Whats the deal/

I'm new to Hybrid Z so any help you can give me would be great!

Thanks

Chris in NY

They are 370cc I believe instead of the uhh, 260-270cc stockers. That may end up being enough to put them a bit rich on a stock setup, meaning stinky and black down low.

Before you went that route, I think a better pump and a rising rate regulator would be suggested. But I'm new ot the turbo cars, so feel free to search and listen to more experienced opinions.

The best bang for the buck in my opinion is to use 80's Mazda RX7 low impedance injectors. The most common size I've seen is the 460cc Nippon Denso p/n 19550-1350 with the red tops. These injectors actually flow 440cc at 3bar, but who's counting? I got 2 sets of 4 on eBay for under 100.00. Before I installed them I had to have them cleaned and the pintle caps diameter reduced by a few thousands. I then purchased (12) hose clamps and EFI hose that fit over the top of the injectors and the stock fuel rail. This is a only temporary fix until I get the "O" fuel rail completed. The whole thing cost me under 200.00. The pintle cap fix I did myself. In my opinion this was a far better investment rather than buying new barbed Bosch injectors for 600.00. :shock: These injectors are used on a wide range of vehicles and can be found in various sizes.

Below is a link for injectors that look like mine. You should verify quality and part#'s before purchasing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2409462853&category=6763

Regards,

An option too, is to look at the base fuel pressure for the injector and change your own base level to where the injector would flow within a range that wouldn't have you running overly rich. I suppose along with the rising rate regulatory, you may even decide to turn it up at the track, that makes the car not exactly drive to the track and forget it though, since you'd have to adjust fuel pressure and probably you'd be raising your boost level as well.

I have a set of 370cc/min installed in my car right now. I think they are a little too large for me for my L24 turbo setup. If you want I'd like to talk to you about trading. I could really use an adjustable fpr, if you would consider selling let me know.

The injectors are still installed in my car, car runs well, and are in good condition.

Are the ones you have OEM ones? Are they in good condition?