HybridZ

LS1 swap: chassis considerations?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

In a few weeks i will be recieving a race prepped LS1 from agostino racing. itll push out 450 hp and around 500 ft-lbs. i will also be supercharging the engine with a procharger. final numbers are high. Im putting the engine with a T-56 in my '72 240z. My question is, with a relatively rust-free frame, what kind or reinforcement ill i be needing to handle somewhere around 850 hp with little or no chassis flex? where will i be needing it? and whats a good rear end to handle that much torque?

Doodyhead thats going to be one wild ride. I have a stock LS1 in my 240Z, 300 RWHP that scares me. But then again I'm 51 years old. Theirs a book called "How to race and modify your Datsun" that gives some good insite to stiffing the Z up some. I would think a goood full cage with bracing extending up through the fire wall and down to the main frame rails would go a long way towards these ends, and bracing back to the rear main frame also. I would like to know if the C5 rear transaxle could be fitted to the Z. Leave it wide and use deeper wheels. It would take wide fenders to cover but would make for a nice wide stance. hail.gif

Guest Anonymous

I told the guys at agostino i wanna run on pump gas. they bore the LS1 (theyre the only guys i know of that can do this safely) to 393 ci. it should work out to be a happy 12:1, which is fine. I hope. I dont remember whats safe for pump.

Guest Anonymous

Oh, and thanks for the info. I know itll be a insane amount of power, but thats why i got the t-56 manual. lets me control it a little better. I got sick of my friends in their little hondas beating my mercedes 380sl. so i sold it for this car and the money to finance this little operation. itll be reliable as hell, too, forged internals, the works. im just worried about how much meat im gonna need on the back so that i dont accidentally break loose at 70 on the freeway. that would be scary. although i am getting a roll-cage for sure.

12:1 sounds high to run on pump gas, unless you have something like 94 octane where you live. The you want to add a supercharger? From the little that I do know, you're gonna need some really high octane gas to handle that. I know that most turbo cars running 15+ psi of boost usually have 8.5:1 compression or less.

2 cents from my limited knowledge

Guest pvtkary

rockon.gif

dude if you are running in the 12 to one range i wouldnt suggest supercharging. ya need to stick to the eight to one range. if you need more boost just over drive the supercharger. also you need to go a couple of steps colder plugs or you will have an expensive boat anchor. sounds like you have a searous need for speed. not to preach, but if this is a street car ya might want to tone it down a bit. a pop off valve in the intake would also be prudent. good luck, and keep the shiny side up.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the warning, i called em and they said they already knew, and put deep dish pizza....errr, pistons in it. i forgot i told them everything i was gonna do, and itll have an estimated 8:5:1. thanks for the info, i appreciate it